DC needs to go!

I like the idea of faking a blitz and also blitzing so the team doesn’t know what is coming versus not showing a blitz and trying to cover a lot of ground to get to QB. Even if not a sack, you need to rough them up. We seem to be missing the OLB blitz (unless this is where Chambers was playing).

I wonder if we have Stuard or someone else spy on Tate this week.

Dorito

It looked like we could not make any TFLs on running plays like we used to do. So instead of 3rd and long we are dealing with 3rd and five or less which is much easier to convert.

Also number 14 looked lost on man coverage. They will need to play more zone if he can’t make the adjustments.

The fact that the defense had played 30 minutes of the game when the 3rd qtr started in 100 degree weather probably did not help. I can not wait for the day when schools stand up against TV stations who do not care that they are putting these athletes at risk.

1 Like

That’s what I saw. For the most part, we stuffed them on 1st and 2nd down running plays, but they would then always dial up the right call to make a 3rd and 7. I have some concerns with the DC, but it’s silly to start talking about firing him after the first game. Yes, they missed three field goals but two were nearly 50 yarders, and has been pointed out, they scored 3 points in the second half. It’s tough to tell much about your team on September 3rd. I can say we definitely have more speed at WR, it looks as if we finally have a legit QB, and it may be that we’re going to struggle again covering receivers. Hopefully that last issue will get ironed out. I will say that Cephas is Rice’s best receiver since Dillard. He led the FBS in yards per catch last year as a freshman and is going to make plays against most anyone.

Don’t know about firing him, but he needs to make some changes to his strategy IMHO.

He has been here for 13 games. He seems to “under use” our LB corp…again IMHO.

He is in charge of the defense. It is on him.

I do realize however, that with the type of offense we play, that the defense will get a lot of playing time.

Really seems like Brown has good instincts and a nose for the football. That can cover up some slowness.

1 Like

Brown did a good job…he made a lot plays…he also had some mistakes. Couple in pass coverage.
But he had no experience and played every snap after Owens went down. He and Robinson played almost every down. I guess CMD had keep LBs in because of their base formation being 3TE 2RB…needed run stoppers on field. If go to 6 DBs would be at disadvantage if they ran on 2nd or 3rd and medium to long…imho. So…he and Robinson really played hard and long