Deep bench gives UH coach Kelvin Sampson lots of options

“There’s really no dropoff at all when the bench comes in,” said Harris, who has shown marked improvement as the season’s progressed. “It’s great to know that you have a sub that’s going to keep the same level of play up, keep the lead and keep the team going.

“It allows us to play as hard as we possibly can while we’re in, knowing that somebody is going to come in for us and do the same thing.”

1 Like

By the way, Richard Dean has been filling in for JD while he’s been gone. UH guy:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/rldean/

4 Likes

With this much depth why don’t we press more? This is just a question to understand not a comment that we should be doing it.

Not really Sampson’s style. He’s big on not giving up transition baskets at all and is content to play a strong halfcourt defense.

6 Likes

As Pray10 said. You might get some turnovers but you also can give up easy transition baskets playing a press.

Thank you, that makes sense.

No reason to open up the court when we have such an elite half court defense.

Also I think CKS uses the depth to find the different matchups during g the game that are to our advantage. Playing time for a lot of our players varies a lot game to game. Press makes everyone tired and then forces you to play fresh people rather than the right people for the matchup.

5 Likes

I have heard CKS say something to the effect that coaches use the press to cover up other deficiencies and he does not like the press personally.

1 Like

Add to that the additional foul trouble we’d get into, so I’m sure that’s a factor.

This team would be a good press team, but we don’t need it.

1 Like