DeJon " Deeky" Jarreau in pro hoop thread

Hopefully this is a decade + thread on Deke’s pro career.
Deke reminds me of a much taller version of Patrick Beverley.

https://twitter.com/LaDeeky/status/1420971979146924033

" There are two more things in particular to really like about Jarreau though. As mentioned, he’s a big guard and he’s a defensive pest.

While he is a very capable playmaker, his defense is what might really set him apart at the next level. It’s just a summer league situation right now, but with Jarreau’s skillset, size, ability, and the heart he showed through the Tournament, he should make the Miami Heat’s team.

You, at least, hope that they find a way to hold on to him with a two-way spot. However, at his age and with his experience, he should be able to contribute right away for Miami and you hope that is what’s in the cards for his future."
https://twitter.com/AYanez_5/status/1421162537408770049
https://twitter.com/AYanez_5/status/1421160192721424389
https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1421160691050893324

"Jarreau is a vicious defender — both on and off the ball — and was one of Houston’s best distributors last year. He was named the AAC Defensive Player of the Year by making life miserable for opposing guards and wings on the perimeter.

When he was on the floor, he catapulted Houston’s energy level on both ends of the floor; he’s very tough — playing most of Houston’s Final Four run with an injured hip. Jarreau’s shooting was inconsistent throughout his collegiate career, but shot 34.4 percent from beyond the arc (on 2.9 attempts) as a senior. His free-throw efficiency, however, decreased (79.5 percent to 70.3 percent) from his junior year. He should add playmaking juice with that tough, gritty mentality that emulates the #HEATCULTURE™ mold."

5 Likes

Patrick Beverley?

If Jarreau is going to be able to crack an NBA roster he is going to have to improve his shooting. Last year, particularly the second half of the season, was a dramatic improvement for him. If he can build on that he’ll have a chance.

Thanks. Fixed it.
Odd my phone would correct w Erik.
He played in the NFL @ 20 years ago.

1 Like

Coach said Deeky has a real shot with Miami and they love him. They tried to buy a second rounder to draft him. He is leaving next week to get a lot of experience playing in the summer league games. I wish him well.

3 Likes

This year’s Summer League is going to be lit. So much star power.

8 Likes

Man ya gotta just luv that guy. I mean even without national honors that usually come along with “our favorite players”, definitely on my top 5 all-time UH basketball faves. Just an epic performance in the tournament. A man among men. Showed a really good 3 stroke all year, just didn’t take unneccessary ones, and knew when to take it. Thanks Deke for all of it.
Couldn’t have imagined it without you being there.

9 Likes

Deeky was easily my favorite player last year. I always liked his game, even it was a bit out of control. Last season it seemed that everything came into focus with his game. I honestly can’t wait to watch him play and will be looking at summer league games to see his performance.

3 Likes
7 Likes

Dejon will stick in the NBA - I was honestly shocked - that after his Tourney performance - we never saw him start to show up on mock draft boards as a second round pick - not sure what it takes to impress NBA scouts - but that performance in the Tourney alone should have solidified him as a late second round draft pick - glad Miami sees the potential and is giving him the opportunity.

8 Likes

He looks great so far. Hopefully he keeps working on his outside shot. CKS said in an interview that Miami really liked him and tried to trade into the 2nd round to pick him

1 Like

One of my Top 5 as well, and we both have seen LOTS of players. Not many still around who have seen more

1 Like

Dejon has himself a game!!

Very strong.

1 Like

He’s a savage !

I like Tramon’s reaction almost as much as Deeky’s pronouncement.

7 Likes

Yes Mike!!! Absolutely.

Suck it Rutgers!

2 Likes

Man that Rutgers game was incredible.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Latest:

Miami Heat: DeJon Jarreau is earning a two-way spot in Summer League (allucanheat.com)

6 Likes

Don’t Sleep on Deeky!

3 Likes

Torn ACL unfortunately got Deeky

Hoping he’s back strong next year and makes a roster.

3 Likes