Dejon Jarraeu - Next Great UH Star

Akeem, Clyde, Michael Young, Larry Micheaux, Alvin Franklin, David Rose, Reid Gettys, Benny Anders, Eric Dickens, Cadillac Anderson, Gary Orsak, and David and Dan Bunce, Derik Giles, and Renaldo Thomas were all good players. It wasn’t just Akeem and Clyde. The best team the starters played most weeks was the second string in practice.

5 Likes

The college game is not the same as it was then so to compare this talent with the early to mid 80s is ridiculous but that takes nothing away from how special this team is and what Sampson is building.

1 Like

Love his shooting this year. It was painful seeing him at the top of the arc last year wide open with the ball. Didn’t know if it was worse seeing him miss wide open 3s or not take them.

I understand y’all - I am just saying top to bottom this team has crazy NBA talent. Just wait.

I went to UH games as a kid in the early 80’s. So I understand comparison is not reasonable… I even played with Michael young during the summers in the late 80’s. Dude was great to be around and was a great teacher to us CL kids.

Bye the way, Rob Williams wasn’t mentioned by y’all but he was one of the UH greats except in 1 game…

He can’t shoot like Rob W but he’s got that flash of a floor game, only 3” taller. He makes a lot of passes only someone of his height could execute

1 Like

He needs to get a shot…….work on that over the summer and he could be potentially deadly!!!

I tried the 1,000 a day because I respect Matt and I miss him on the radio. But my arm started hurting so I decided to work on my low post move.

I actually do miss Matt on the radio. That was during golden age of sports talk radio. Now? Meh…

4 Likes

He is getting better and listening to CKS criticism. He needs to put on 10-15 pounds to help with the contact on offense and defense.

1 Like

Believe it or not, I believe he’s put on 18-19 pounds from when he got here in June

Rob wasn’t on that team, he was on the one the year before that lost to UNC in New Orleans. The team I referenced was the one that lost to NC State in Albuquerque.

As far as having NBA talent top to bottom, as much as I love this team, that is even beyond what this poly can stretch. Maybe we have one or two that will make it in the NBA – maybe.

I have to agree Mike. We certainly do not have NBA talent top to bottom on the roster.

2 Likes

The Knicks might disageee with you. :joy:

This is going to be one explosive off season terms of development.

Brooks steps in as a leader.
Jarreau is going to greatly benefit from a full year plus in the prgram
Mills getting an early start
I think today was a glimpse of what we will see with White, facing up and posting
Alley will grow on offense

We have a number of players I think will look very different at this time next season.

3 Likes

Chris Harris will play an important role next season.

1 Like

This might be more appropriate for a new thread but I think the transition from Corey and Galen will be to Hinton plus Alley and/or Jarraeu. Other guys will play big roles but these are the two or three that Sampson will trust with leading the culture.

1 Like

In another post Micah McLean posted re Gorham, “If they think we’re tough now, wait till we let this monster out of the cage.” Next year’s Cougars are going to be even better than the current bunch.

1 Like

Look for Brooks to be our leader for the next version of the Cougars.

2 Likes

I don’t see Brooks being a leader on this team. Not sure where the leadership comes from next year…

Hinton and Alley

1 Like

Brooks absolutely can be a Leader the way he goes about his business. Carries high GPA in the classroom. Has great upbringing and it has been mentioned by coaching staff that if there was one player who his mental mind wouldn’t change if he started or came off the bench it would be Brooks. Don’t read too much into the babyface he has…looks like he’s 15, but has great character and very stable.

6 Likes