Dejon Jarraeu - Next Great UH Star

I think you are absolutely wrong on Brooks.

We have three great Sr leaders this season and Brooks will help carry the torch next season.
Nothing against Hinton but he is still learning but Brooks will be here for his 4th season and has been through wars going against Dotson, Gray, Davis, Robinson and the rest of this deep team in his time.
But I do see guys like Hinton, Jarreau, Alley and White stepping into a veteran presence by next season

2 Likes

Brooks reminds me a lot of Dot. Quiet, slow to speak, workhorse. Let’s his game do the talking. We won’t have one leader on the team next year…we’ll have several…just like this year.

6 Likes

You don’t have to be a rah rah vocal guy to be a leader. Some of the best leaders I have seen as a coach have been those so called lead by example guys, but when they spkoe it meant something…

I do agree that in a sense our ultimate leader is our culture

2 Likes

Other than they are both very good players in recent UH basketball history, I don’t see the similarities but we each have our own perspective. Brooks is a much better perimeter shooter but Dot was much better defensively and seemed more intense on both ends. I am no basketball expert though.

1 Like

Both were/are excellent rebounders.

Thomas…explain yourself.

It only took me about one half to realize he is going to be good. Check that, GREAT! He’s already good. In fact, there are several players on this team that show great potential. This 25-1 record is no accident. White and Hinton also show a lot of promise. They’re fun to watch because they play the game the right way.

1 Like

[quote=“Stealthcougar, post:9, topic:17390”]
The redshirt Wells frosh from NC to quote CKS “is the best shooter he’s recruited at UH.”
[/quote]…Do you mean Caleb Mills? Best offensive player, not shooter. Antoine Davis might have been that guy.

https://youtu.be/5HfDxZ7Lqwo

https://youtu.be/HkNxeVSmoiU

Responding to your two points, Dot had a higher 3 pt percentage than Brooks has when comparing Jr seasons and both avg 0.7 steals a game in their Jr seasons. Also, as was pointed out, both lead their respective teams in rebounds. I see differences too. But there hasn’t been two Cougars in recent memory that remind me more of each other.

Brooks is very timid most of the time on the court, and in interviews, up close observations, etc. he just doesn’t come across as the leader that this team will need next year. Hopefully he will step up as well as others.

Neither did Phi Slamma Jamma. Remember Clyde, Hakeem were all stars but Michael Young, Alvin Franklin and Reid Gettys didn’t make it in the show and Benny disappeared for decades.

This team doesn’t have Hakeem nor Clyde. But as to who will make it in the NBA, we will just have to see.

That frat is sacred. There’s only one “m” in Slama Jama! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does Mills have to sit out the first semester next year?

I am glad he reminds you of Dot. Dot was a complete player especially his senior season.

No He’s eligible right now

2 Likes

Agree, all these guys play DEFENSE, therefore and furthermore, they can never be considered suitable for the NBA ! :sunglasses:

I have met Mr. Brooks once. It was during the summer opening of the Fertitta Center. He talked with me for about ten minutes about his choice of UH, his respect for the coach, and the feeling of intensity he had by being inside the arena. Then in one of the first two games he made a clutch trey from the southwest corner and the place exploded. I think his depth, his commitment to the team, and growing ability will make him a strong team leader by example–making his teammates better.

1 Like

You can have all the examples you want, but if the team is struggling and he is struggling in a game, you must have someone that is vocal that can get the team fired up. You think that leaders only lead by example? If that was the case, then the Coogs would be full of leaders because they all produce something when they are on the court.

Not really. That has more to do with overall culture.

As far as defense goes Brooks has come a long way. He is not with CD or GROB but very few are. He is ahead of Gray in that area.
His experience mixed in with a very young group of guards (Two 2nd year and two 1st year players) will be valuable

2 Likes

i dont know where that come from, but not true. Some lead vocally, some by example…but he is a leader.