Diving Deep to Launch UH Subsea Engineering to New Heights: Q & A with the New

What’s next for the subsea engineering program?

PK: Our program is very successful, but the industry has changed its direction in the last three years and we have to respond to that. Our curriculum needs to change to reflect the industry dynamics and fit the current and future needs of the subsea market. It’s our responsibility to stay ahead of the curve. The subsea engineering program prepares students to be industry-ready and I’m proud to say we’re the first such program to do so.

I want to reach a global audience in terms of students and working professionals with our offerings — someone sitting in Australia can earn their degree or certificate with our online classes. I also want to partner with corporations around the world and offer our students more knowledge and opportunities.

There are some exciting things we are planning to include in the program:

We are proposing three new dual master’s degrees — petroleum engineering and subsea engineering, mechanical engineering and subsea engineering, and electrical and subsea engineering.

We will also add two more graduate certificates to the program — a Flow Assurance Certificate and a SURF (Subsea Umbilical Risers and Flowlines) Certificate.

And we will offer a subsea engineering minor for undergraduates. Any undergraduate engineering student can opt for the subsea minor as long as the student qualifies for a minor.

All of these should be offered by fall 2018 or spring 2019, pending approval from the university.

I want to make the UH Subsea Engineering program the most relevant, comprehensive, dynamic and robust program in the world. And I want to make it available to every qualified prospective student across the globe.