Do we get ranked tomorrow?

That sure applies to the football team this year. Patrick is right Net rankings are where it’s at. Yes we get ranked tomorrow. Hope Cincy keeps winning and joins us soon.

Some examples where RPI and AP were pointing to different seeding.

North Carolina: 2 seed, AP 10, RPI 5
Duke: 2 seed, AP 9, RPI 6
Michigan: 3 seed, AP 7, RPI 11
Tennessee: 3 seed, AP 13, RPI 8
Texas Tech: 3 seed, AP 14, RPI 23
Michigan State 3 seed, AP 5, RPI 16
Arizona: 4 seed, AP 12, RPI 13
Gonzaga: 4 seed, AP 8, RPI 21
Wichita State: 4 seed, AP 16, RPI 12
Auburn: 4 seed, AP 19, RPI 15
West Virginia: 5 seed, AP 15, RPI 27
Clemson: 5 seed, AP 20, RPI 10

*Bold rating is the one closer to the actual seed.

4 times the AP was closer and 5 times the RPI was closer. Maybe further down the seeding, AP might be right more often because they will rank hot teams higher and the RPI doesn’t distinguish between November games and March games.

1 Like

Thanks for looking that up. I was kind of curious. I assumed AP was probably a little better predictor largely because I remember Missouri State had an RPI of like 20 and didn’t make it the year we lost to them in the NIT. SMU was ranked #25 i the AP when they didn’t make it a few years back, but the ranking didn’t include their loss to us in the conference tourney, which for sure would have knocked them out of the top 25 in a new poll. I also recall teams with RPIs in the 60s and 70s getting at large spots.

At least based on one year (limited data of course) it seems like it can go either way. And that was with RPI, maybe NET will track more closely, though I guess less is possible.

My response was also specific to your example. If it was be #20 in the AP vs. #25 in NET or vice verse I guess I’d go with NET. But I know #1 in the AP means we are really, really good and I doubt a team that entered the last week of the season #1 and then won their conference tourney has ever missed out on a #1 seed. It may not have happened with a team that was #1 in RPI either, but that would shock me less. Though, I could be wrong of course.

Here is the site I used for the RPI. 20 years of archives. If you use it, make sure to change the date as well as the year or you will be getting the ratings that include tourney results. If you find an RPI ranked 1st that didn’t get a one seed let me know.

Actually found this instead. Looks like Kansas once got a 3 seed as the #1 team in RPI but also once got a #1 seed as the #11 team in RPI.

1 Like

Good find. That goes back to the flaw in most computer ratings, including RPI. Kansas dominated their OOC schedule and then went 3-6 in their final 9 games but stayed number 1 in RPI because of how far they were ahead of the pack. During every selection time, they said RPI is just a starting point but last 10 games, SOS, quality wins and bad losses are taken into account.

What time do the rankings come out?

AP and Coaches

I think between noon and 2pm…I could be wrong though…

My vote for the most politically correct statement of the year. And, as is the case with politics, I’m not buying you feel that way!

We’re ranked in both of the next two polls. Book it!

Wow, Karnach the Magnificent! #24!
#GoCoogs!