Do we get ranked

The shuttle bus was a great experience. Mine was packed with happy Coogs
and there was a lot of chatter.

It’s been a while since UH has had two guys on campus at the same time like Rob Gray for basketball and Ed Oliver for football. Both are considered one of the best in the nation at their positions.

I noticed Arkansas went right back to scoring 90+ points. Come back from this quick road trip with a 2-0 record and more UH fans should start believing in this team. I think you are right on your assessment but I want to see it play out in their record over the next couple of weeks. I hope the Drexel / Liberty performances are a thing of the past.

1 Like

While I believe that scheduling would have been a serious issue with Delmar, I would never have based it on student attendance as our students do not attend B.B. games anyway. Worrying about 50 students coming to games would not have been on my mind.

Worrying about WHY only 50 come to the games is the real issue.

1 Like

No doubt that the Arky game at the Hof would have drawn a nice crowd, but it wasn’t and it did drawn a nice crowd anyway. Possibly the best of the year.

We played at the old Delmar back in the day and did well in attendance
of course the times I went we had guys named Chaney and Hayes playing
and you are right, our basketball attendance has been terrible anyways so what the heck

I remember those days. Back then freshmen were not eligible to play on the varsity team, so the freshman game started at 6:00 as I recall.

Meaning, as a student, if you did not get there by 5:30, you might not get in. Times have changed
now most students don’t even know there is a BB game.

We also didn’t care who we played as long as we beat the crap out of them. SWC BB sucked big time.

I am a very irregular attendee at basketball games but I did go to one this year. The arena at TSU is a nice area with good concessions. The parking garage is just across the drive from the building and is guarded. Security is very visible and sufficient. It is actually a good place for use to use this year while the Hof is rebuilt as the Fertitta Center.

5 Likes

This is the dumbest take I’ve ever seen in the history of UH message boards.

That UH has a good Division 1 arena literally blocks from its campus BUT SHOULD INSTEAD GO PLAY IN A FREAKING HIGH SCHOOL GYMNASIUM ON THE OTHER SIDE OF TOWN!??!?!??!?!?!?!

And why? Because “some people you know” think an area of 3rd Ward that’s literally blocks from UH is somehow less safe than UH itself
 which is in the heart of 3rd Ward.

Butch, I really hope this is some kind of extended joke.

4 Likes

To be clear, UH isn’t really “in the heart of” the 3rd Ward. An excessively broad boundary would put UH right at the edge of the 3rd, and I’ve seen lines drawn for it (and I wouldn’t disagree with them) that exclude UH entirely. TSU has a much better claim to that.

But yeah, parts of the TSU campus are closer to Hofheinz than some parts of our own campus are. Playing in Delmar would be an awful decision.

1 Like

Your comprehension really needs works
and before you start calling names like you are so good at, understand that I personally have no problem going over to TSU to watch a game. I have friends who graduated from there and have never felt threatened.
That said, my point is that for one reason or another a lot of folks, especially women, do feel threatened. That is not me talking
and yes I will take my wife to some games. I don’t agree with those folks but that is a fact of life
just hoping we have a great season and that the students actually start to attend games next year
have a nice day
and that is no joke

UH will lose a certain subset of fans regardless of where they choose to play the games while the new Hof is built. If the Wichita St game is at the Toyota Center, there will be some who don’t want to mess with parking downtown and won’t go.

And UH has a certain subset of fans that will make every effort to get to the game regardless of the location in Houston. My bigger concern is not where they play the games this season – it’s that they don’t price out a lot of this core in the new place and have them replaced with fans that might not be in it for the long haul but are attracted to new, shiny things.

3 Likes

Take the rail. Or Uber.

Got 8 votes in the Coaches Poll

1 Like

3 in the AP poll:

1 Like

Other than Arkansas getting 14 more votes than UH, this sounds about right. Just keep winning Coogs (and Hogs).

1 Like

And where is Temple in the rankings? Looking at the RPI, they have done well – sure they have a loss to Geo Washington and a more understandable loss to LaSalle but they also beat Clemson, Auburn, South Carolina, Wisconsin and Old Dominion. Here is an example of a team playing a tougher schedule and getting no love from the voters. Surely they deserve some votes as well. Randomly, I looked at Baylor and they have two good losses and their best wins are Creighton and Wisconsin so I guess having the two good losses significantly outweighs having quality wins.

And so it begins!

1 Like

Villanova at Temple on Wednesday night would be huge for The American.

1 Like

Saturday has:

Louisville vs. Memphis (MSG)
Cincy at UCLA
OU at Witchita St

1 Like

Yes! I knew the AP would want to give Arky props after the Minnesota win. Can’t do that without giving us our due. Ha! See how we trapped those stupid voters by beating a good team.