Do you know any of these players?

For some unknown reason I looked at our current football roster on www.uhcougars.com and discovered the new players listed below who were not on the roster a month or so ago.

Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Year Hometown (Last School)
Shaun Lewis DB 5-10 180 RS FR Houston, Texas (Westfield HS)
Jacob Daulong LB 6-0 195 RS FR Spring, Texas (Klein Collins HS)
Tariq Freeney LB 6-2 225 SO Rosenberg, Texas (Lamar Consolidated HS)
Ike Ogobogu QB 5-11 190 RS FR San Jose, Calif. (Bellarmine College Prep)
Payton Haslam TE 5-11 190 SR Gilbert, Ariz. (Black Hills State)
Sid Turnbull TE 6-4 245 JR Katy, Texas (Northern Colorado)
Andrew Segovia WR 5-9 175 JR New Caney, Texas (New Caney HS)
Kinte Hatton WR 5-11 185 GS Houston, Texas (Blinn JC)
Osby Mitchell WR 5-10 180 RS FR Pearland, Texas (Dawson HS)

Who are the 4 listed as RS FR? Did they RS for us or another team?
One is a QB. Can never have enough (no sarcasm)
Two JUCOs
One from Northern Colorado, a Katy boy.
Freeney & Segovia must be walk-ons this year.

I could find none of these players on 247 going back to 2015 class. Do any of you know anything about these kids?

I am especially interest in Sid Turnbull. Northern Col. listed him in 2016 as a 6-6 205 WR who was on an AAU BB team in HS. He was not on their 2017 roster so he maybe sat out that year? Or do you have sit out moving from FCS to FBS? His older brother was up there as a TE in 2015 listed at 6-4 245.

1 Like

Payton Haslam listed as a 5’11”, 190 TE? A bit undersized, don’t you think?

The name Kinte Hatton rings a bell for some reason. Never heard of any of the others.

Kinte Hatton sounds familiar also

I know the Daulong kid was a walk on last season so I’d assume so are the others.

1 Like

@KinteHatton

Walk-ons for Spring Practice. I saw it late yesterday and will try and find info on them and post it today.

Thanks.

With the updated roster, here’s who are no longer on the roster:

• TE Kobe Idumwonyi (Scholarship)
  • RB Duke Catalon (Scholarship)
  • DB King Ekejija (Walk on)
  • DL Jacoby Morrison (Walk on)
  • DL Colby Brignac (Walk on)
  • K Joel Scarborough (Walk on)
  • RB Blake Hirsch (Walk on)
  • TE Mason Tobola (Walk on)
  • WR Joshua Hancock (Walk on)
1 Like

In general.
The walk ons who’s measurable don’t fit their positions whatever are “coaches in waiting”. They spending a bunch of time with the entry level video guys/GAs, etc learning the craft.

1 Like

New guys:

DB Shaun Lewis RS FR
Lewis was actually on the roster last season and was twice named the Practice player of the Week. He was a WR/FS at Westfield

LB Jacob Daulong RS FR
Don’t know where Daulong was last year, but he was a LB at Klein Collins prior to his college career and was an Academic All-State

QB Ike Ogobogu RS FR
Not sure where Ogobogu was last year, but he was a 2* Dual Threat QB recruit coming out of San Jose, CA two years ago. Didn’t have any offers.

TE Sid Turnbull JR
Was at Northern Colorado for 3 years (1 redshirt year) prior to this year. Didn’t record any stats while there. Played at Katy Seven Lakes in High School and was a WR/TE/OLB

TE Payton Haslam
Haslam was a QB at Mesquite High School in Arizona. Freshman season was at Black Hills State, but he didn’t play and moved on to College of the Mainland, but did not play football (was in the Student Government there). Is now trying to finish up his degree at Houston where his family moved.

TE Tariq Freeney
Has already been switched from LB. Freeney played at Lamar Consolidated as an OL/DE and was a 2nd team all-district OL his senior year. Graduated in 2016, but don’t know what he’s been doing since.

WR Andrew Segovia
Segovia played WR/CB at New Caney and signed with Benedictine College out of high school. Doesn’t look like he ever saw the field while he was there.

WR Kinte Hatton
Hatton has been with the Coogs the last two years and saw the field against USF and ECU, but did not record a stat. Hatton originally came out of Blinn JC and played high school ball at Klein Forest
http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kinte_hatton_1025390.html

WR Osby Mitchell
Mitchell’s out of Pearland Dawson and was a 1st team all 22-6A 1st team TE as a junior and a 23-6A 2nd team WR as a senior.

There’s a Jordan Boatman listed at OL who’s 6-6, 325. A redshirt freshman out of the Woodlands. That’s a big boy. And a walk-on at that.

He was another one on the roster last year after the spring. With that kind of size, if they can get him to use it well, they may have something.

1 Like

There was a Paul Daulong who played tight end in the late 1960s for the Coogs. Wonder if Jacob Daulong is kin to him?

I don’t know him but a quick search says his dad is Stephen and he is connected to a Paul Daulong who’s connections on Facebook are Bill Yeoman and an Ebner. Good chance.