Don’t forget... Student Athletes

These are young adults who play for our enjoyment and the glory of our university. Most will not have pro careers as an athlete. If you’ve never been a college athlete, it’s an absolute grind. You basically have no life but school and your sport.

In our disappointment don’t forget that while the coaches are well paid professional hired guns… the kids are not and they deserve our respect and kudos … win or lose.

I know you guys know this, but it’s easy to forget. Athletes are extremely competitive and no one on that team wanted to lose tonight.

14 Likes

I may be disappointed in a particular play, but I’m never disappointed by our players. They put their bodies on the line for our entertainment and for pride in our school. Thanks for every second they out in both on and off the field

10 Likes

The players are what makes this school. Respect the hell out of them for putting on the Red and White and representing our school with class.

7 Likes

We should always remind ourselves that these kids are out there for our enjoyment. It’s always fair to criticize s valid concern, “They didn’t play well” or maybe as far as “receiver X had stopped way too many balls this season” but it should probably stop there.

Coaches in the other hand, are fair game.

2 Likes

It is easy to forget sometimes, but you are all 100% spot on. Our players make tremendous sacrifices for the glory of our school. Let’s respect and supppirt them all regardless of the results at the end of the day. Go Coogs!

2 Likes

I do respect the players…love them. And I feel that it is the school’s and alums’ responsibility to hire the right coaches to lead them to success.We did it two years ago; somewhat of a misstep right now with the football program.

I’ll never berate our players. They’re actually here for the same reason we are, to get an education to better their lives. I also take pride in rarely having our guys arrested like so many other college programs have.

2 Likes

It’s not or responsibility to hire the right coach. It’s our responsibility to support to program whoever the coach is.

4 Likes

THIS!!!

I get so tired of the feeding frenzy on Applewhite. The fact is we just don’t have the experienced talent yet and the other teams get scholarships too, Fresno State was just a better team all year (you are what your record says you are), so I don’t know why we were expected to just show up and beat them.

3 Likes

The major reason Navy is my second favorite team, followed by Air Force and Army. You might see me at a game with a UH Shirt and Navy hat, or vice versa . . . . . The other reason I love the Navy (in general) is they did a magnificent job in the big war (WWII) with such limited resources, made almost all of the right moves and really turned the Pacific theatre of the war around very quickly. They deserve our respect and gratitude . . . . .

3 Likes

It’s precisely for the student athletes that I feel the worst about. Levine trashed a 5 star recruit and Oliver appears to be doing very well despite the problems with coaching.

It is pitiful to see students who are giving their time and Effort be wasted because of incompetence.