Duarte's 2018 Record Prediction

JD is close to the program , so I would take him at his word.

1. Arizona in loss column if you see a heavy dose of CMA in this game. We haven’t proven we are capable of outfoxing good coaches late in the game and Sumlin is as crafty as they come. However, if this is a Sumlin verses coach Briles affair, then count one for the good guys.

2. Tech in the loss column. Turnovers . Gibbs is a turnover machine and I fear for our young wide receivers.

I’ll take that.

We beat Tech and Arizona…

3 Likes

Yeah… That was Ward’s worst game at UH. Memphis defense had his number that day, the way Southern Mississippi had Case’s years ago. I think UH would had lost that game vs Memphis that year has Ward not gotten hurt.

I’m going to predict 9-3, but if players stay healthy and coaching comes together we could be looking at a 10+ win season. It seems like every 3-4 years we have a “pop” year and this has all the markings of one - I’m just not quite sold on our coaching staff yet.

There’s always that head-scratcher every year

For my money, we lose to one of Arizona and Tech, one of Memphis and Navy, and the usual head-scratcher like Tulane or SMU, and then we lose the bowl game. That’s 9-4 and is that enough to save Major’s job?

no it isnt

Let’s see how we do in the practice against Rice first. It should be a vanilla offense and see where the D is. We should dominate and drop 50-70 on them.

Applewhite isn’t technically on the hot seat yet. So 9-4 doesn’t get him fired, but it certainly puts him on the hot seat. If we lose the division and another bowl game, it will be 10 wins and a conference championship or out.

Also if Kendal is one and done like at FAU, Applewhite goes on the hot seat even if we go 10-3 with a bowl win.

New offense. New coach for Rice. Game in Rice stadium. The last time we scored over 42 points at Rice Stadium was 1989. Feel free to be optimistic but if the results are more like 34-17, it wouldn’t be a sign that we are going to have a mediocre season.

2 Likes

I agree with Shaggy. Struggling to agree with those who are calling Rice a practice or scrimmage. I think we play well however and have a good won.

1 Like

We haven’t scored over, but we did score 42 in 2008, and lost by 14.

This will be the game (along with TSU) that a bunch of true freshmen see time under the new redshirt rules. I think we’ll be up 35-0 at the half and probably not score much after that.

2 Likes

We beat them 38-3 last season and still had a mediocre season. Beating a bad Rice is not a good indicator