Dunbar NFL Draft Prospect

Problem is, Dunbar wasn’t. He better be on the track today starting his training for the 40. His shuttle time is going to be huge too.

Didnt Ayers run a 4.58 in pro day? He ran bad at the combine, had an injured hand.

Yep

Dunbar and Bonner, represented this great institution very well, on and off the field. Core part of what I consider the “team of the century”. Truly great ambassadors of the University of Houston.

4 Likes

Still can’t figure out why an injured hand affected his 40 time. But I’m not a sprinter so maybe I’m just ignorant.

When you push forward your hand moves forward and back sharply. Maybe it hurt everytime he pushed and also on the stance/start some of the weight is on the hand.

I think both Bonner and Dunbar will get UDFA deals. You can’t ignore their production. You can make it in the league and not be a “burner”. You just have to have good production at your particular position.

Some guys are not track guys. There were a good number of quick players that played football but didn’t make our track team in high school because they didn’t have good turnover. The 40 is whole other animal; if the technique isn’t near flawless time will start pilling up. His speed transfers to the football field and that’s what’s important. 40 time is nearly an antiquated measurement of speed. Now they are clocking MPH. lol

They’ll get UDFA deals most likely, maybe late round flyers. This could change if they show well in quickness and some top end speed. But they’ll both need to show that they can not only create separation but get away from DB’s as well. But hands and separation will be the most important.

Good news, that’s a been a staple of their skill set since day one.

1 Like

Agreed but unfortunately they’ll have to be absolute nails at all times when showing off. Because I think we can agree that they don’t have that speed sex appeal to of set any negative performance.

A thousand plus yard season with 3 different qbs amd our o is impresive, and hes a good blocker too

Idk, Larry Fitzgerald, Chris Carter, Jerry Rice, Anquan Bolden, are all receivers that had bad 40 times. Some even posted 4.7’s. Both Dunbar and Bonner can at least post 4.7s. Much like the greats that I mentioned, Bonner and Dunbar catch everything thrown their way. That’s all they have to do to make a practice squad. There will be plenty of 4.3-4.5 guys who will drop passes, get jammed at the line, fail to get separation, and get cut. Do you remember Trindon Holiday, Dri Archer, and Jacoby Ford? All posted below 4.3s in the 40 and couldn’t stay on an NFL roster. Our guys have a shot. I’m rooting for them!

Put them both on the Eagles practice squad, move Greg Ward back to QB and watch those boys light it up!

5 Likes

They absolutely have a shot, great height, weight measurements and really good route runners and high point guys. It’s just going to be harder as is it is for lots of players. Fitzgerald and Bouldin also had the benefit of having big profiles coming out of college and unfairly having a profile is a huge help because it offsets possible bad workouts and such. Our guys simply won’t have that advantage so they will need to show out at a much higher level.

Totally true. That ball Dunbar snagged an inch off the turf in the bowl this year was superb. I wonder if any scouts saw that?

Dunbar has a chance to get drafted. He’s got good size and good hands and if he shows well at the Shrine Bowl he may get an invite to the Combine. More than likely, folks will watch him at pro day. Teams tend to go after receivers like him late in the draft.

Bonner is shorter and isn’t really on anyone’s draft radar. He’ll probably be an undrafted free agent and might be able to make a practice squad if he works hard in camp.

1 Like

Interview with Steven Dunbar.

2018 NFL Draft Prospect Steven Dunbar Jr. - WR, Houston Cougars

2 Likes

I really think he’s going to sneak into the 6th or 7th.

I hope so. I think he sticks no matter what as he’s got intelligence, size and hands. Speed is important, but being able to run routes and catch the ball is key as well.

1 Like

Agreed, he’s proven time and time that he can get behind the defense regardless of his top-end speed. I know he’s going to make it!