Early Team Stats point to a possible American FB Title

Houston Cougars are the only team in the American that have a top 4 total team offense & defense. I believe that type of balance can make us real title contenders. Stats don’t mean everything but they show trends. Give me your thoughts? GO COOGS!

11 Likes

I think we have a really good chance to win the AAC. We are getting rounded into shape (not physical, but game experience shape) and I think we will just keep on improving.

Here’s current AAC standing (non AAC games in parentheses):
Navy: 3-0 Beat Tulane, Temple, and ECU (lost to BYU 55-3 and Air Force 40-7)
SMU: 2-0 Beat Memphis and Tulane (also beat Tex St, North Texas, and SFA)
Cincy: 1-0 Beat USF (also beat Austin Peay and Army)
Houston: 1-0 Beat Tulane (lost to BYU
Tulsa: 1-0 Beat UCF (also lost to Ok. St.)
Memphis: 1-1 Lost to SMU, Beat UCF (also beat Ark St.)
Temple: 1-1 Lost to Navy, Beat USF
UCF: 1-2 Beat ECU, lost to Tulsa and Memphis (also beat Ga. Tech)
ECU: 1-2 Lost to UCF and Navy, Beat USF (also lost to Ga. St)
Tulane: 0-3 Lost to Navy, SMU, and UH (also beat So. Alabama and So. Miss)
USF: 0-3 Lost to Navy, Temple, and ECU (also beat Citadel and lost to Notre Dame)

I think we can run the table in the AAC. But, look at the advantage 5-0 SMU has in being able to play 3 tune up games against minor opponents.

4 Likes

I think we may have the best defense in the AAC…I KNOW already we have the best run defense in the AAC. .Ask BYU, after we held them to 70 yds and stoned them 3 times when they went for it on 4th and 1…Need our number 1 boys back healthy in the secondary…
I still do not know what to think about our offense. We got the ball back on our own 25 with 4 minutes to go and down 3…If Yeoman QBs or Ware or Klingler or Keenum or Ward or even King is QB, i would all but guarantee that we would score and take the lead over BYU…Instead, what do we get? NOTHING, a complete collapse on offense when we need to win the GAME! Very disappointing…

3 Likes

We need another qb whose last name starts with a K or W.

1 Like

Another K is in the pipeline. Hope he stays there . . . . .

1 Like

Tune played great. I don’t know what game you watched, but he did as well as one could expect. The BYU defense clamped down and had our receivers covered. In the 4th quarter our OL gave little to no protection and the BYU defense played flawlessly. This running down Tune crap has gotten rediculous.

15 Likes

Special talent!!!

2 Likes

My comment was, in no way, a slam on Tune. I have supported him all along. My comment was to the K & W comment. In a couple of years, he should be seasoned enough to step up and do well in our system, along with the M guy coming in . . . . .
Tune did really well when he had a bit of time, and he chewed up the BYU zone defense. I was surprised by the ability of the BYU secondary to stay with our receivers when they switched to man defense . . . . . It obviously confused our offensive staff. Something also happened on defense, because we could not contain BYU in the 4th, but field position did not do UH any favors . . . . .

So we begin by eliminating those teams that already have three AAC losses, that leaves 9:
ECU is probably not in the running either, that leaves 8.

This week should be telling as a few more may drop out. We beat Navy, 2-0 will be OK for now.

Navy: 3-0 Beat Tulane, Temple, and ECU (lost to BYU 55-3 and Air Force 40-7)
SMU: 2-0 Beat Memphis and Tulane (also beat Tex St, North Texas, and SFA)
Cincy: 1-0 Beat USF (also beat Austin Peay and Army)
Houston: 1-0 Beat Tulane (lost to BYU
Tulsa: 1-0 Beat UCF (also lost to Ok. St.)
Memphis: 1-1 Lost to SMU, Beat UCF (also beat Ark St.)
Temple: 1-1 Lost to Navy, Beat USF
UCF: 1-2 Beat ECU, lost to Tulsa and Memphis (also beat Ga. Tech)

However, not a lot to see here as this week:

Tulsa v USF (should be Tulsa, and even if Tulsa loses, it will be their first)
Temple v Memphis (both have one loss)
Tulane v UCF (Tulane is out, UCF needs to win, a loss and they are out)
Cincy v SMU (a push, both unbeaten)

The team I’m worried about is USF. We play them between UCF and SMU; historically these are the kind of games we lose. For example UConn 2015, UTEP 2009, Rice 1980.

2 Likes

The balance between our offense & defense may be the key!

1 Like