9+1= 10 he says :grin:

1 Like

[quote=“CougariDOC, post:19, topic:18791”]
interesting to
see if buys a house here.
[/quote]Hell, he can buy a ranch with that kind of $$$$

1 Like

https://twitter.com/MattParrino/status/1126884467950477314

I instantly thought about this McDonald’s ad from 1991.

Hopefully Ed resurrects the famousness of this number.

3 Likes

Great commercial

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001030975/article/top-25-nfl-rookies-in-best-position-for-year-1-success?campaign=tw-nf-sf212769401-sf212769401&sf212769401=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

1) Ed Oliver, DT, Buffalo Bills: The ninth overall pick – he should not have fallen that far – is going to help the underrated Bills defense get the respect it deserves. He will wreck shop from the three-technique position, and defensive guru Sean McDermott is the right guy to get the most out of him. He isn’t exactly Aaron Donald 2.0, but he might not be too far off.

1 Like
3 Likes

And Lotulelei has made it a point of interacting with Oliver on a daily basis during OTA practices this offseason.

“Just helping him understand what’s expected of the D-line when it comes to technique, when it comes to mentality, when it comes to different things like that,” Lotulelei said Tuesday. “I can only help them so far as far as the type of players we are, because we’re different. He’s a much more explosive, athletic kind of player than I was when I came in.

“But I can teach him what’s expected of him being a first-round draft pick coming into this system, being with Sean and his system, playing for (defensive coordinator Leslie) Frazier, and then being with these coaches for one season, at least, what’s going to be expected of him from these coaches.”

Coach Sean McDermott said Oliver is out with shoulder soreness.

He is among six players who were listed as limited at practice along with seven players who are out.

1 Like

I think he is going to do really well.

1 Like

I just hope they use him to his full capabilities and talents. Still seems he would do better on the edge.

2 Likes

Still inside and will be more of a situational player at first. They have the massive Jordan Phillips (6’6", 340) as the run stopper w Ed vs the pass/longer yardage spots as the plan

1 Like

4. Ed Oliver will finish with more sacks than Trent Murphy, Shaq Lawson

"rent Murphy and Shaq Lawson combined for eight sacks in 2018. The Bills need that number to get bumped up a few in 2019.

Murphy’s issue has been that he hasn’t been able to stay on the field, while Lawson just hasn’t developed enough as a pass rusher.

Enter Houston’s Ed Oliver.

His meager three sacks in eight games last season was an aberration for the talented and explosive defensive tackle. In his first two seasons for Houston, he totaled 5 and 5.5 sacks, respectively. His get-off and power, despite his lack of ideal size, creates havoc in the backfield for offenses.

Playing alongside space-eater Star Lotulelei and pass rushing savant Jerry Hughes means Oliver is going to get home on opposing quarterbacks. It’ll also help his numbers that in the Bills scheme he’s set to play in the three-technique spot, as opposed to nose tackle, which he played predominantly last season."

1 Like

" 6. Defensive line – Where does Ed Oliver fit?

Oliver fell into the Buffalo’s lap with the ninth pick in the NFL Draft and now the rookie defensive tackle will have to earn his reps with the team. Unlike some past defensive rookies like Tremaine Edmunds and Tre’Davious White, Oliver is not getting the three-technique defensive tackle starting spot immediately. He’ll have to compete with Jordan Phillips for snaps, and Phillips has stated multiple times how determined he is to show he’s one of the best in the league."

Ed O 2nd highest rated Madden rookie.
https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/player-ratings?utm_campaign=mad20_hd_ww_ic_soco_twt_m20ratingshubtw&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cid=58923&ts=1561996644362

" He was a dominant player at the college level despite lining up at a position that did not maximize his skill set. Ed Oliver however, is the kind of talent who can overcome less than ideal circumstances and still have an impact on a game.

Like any other rookie, Oliver will be learning on the fly and largely leaning on his natural ability and instincts as he acquires valuable playing experience. But here’s what should be expected from the Bills top draft choice in his rookie season.

Pocket disruption

Oliver has the stature and quickness off the ball that is perfectly suited for the three-technique defensive tackle position in Buffalo’s 4-3 defense. The three-technique typically lines up on the outside shoulder of the opposing guard and is tasked with getting up the field to disrupt the timing of pass plays and help to move the opposing quarterback off his spot.

“For us, we don’t necessarily feel like we have to have a 300 pounder or a real heavy guy at that position,” said Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier. “We need a guy with great quickness, great get-off, that has strength and athleticism, and Ed has those qualities. He had a lot of what we were looking for at that position and he’s so explosive. He has some rare physical traits that we didn’t want to ignore. We feel like his strengths are matched for what we’re looking for at our defensive tackle, especially the three-technique.”

Oliver largely ran with the second team defense in the spring, with veteran Jordan Phillips currently ahead of him on the depth chart. But if the rookie takes advantage of the position match in which he’s been placed he could be seeing a lot of snaps in his future.

“Now seeing how they’re going to use me, it’s great,” said Oliver. “I want to just compete and hopefully be on the field on Sundays.”

Tackles for loss

In 32 collegiate games, Oliver had an eye-popping 53 tackles for loss. As remarkable as the production is, that figure becomes even more impressive when one recognizes that he made most of those plays from the nose tackle position.

In the Houston Cougars 3-4 defensive front, Oliver at 285 pounds, lined up as a two-gap nose tackle. He often faced double teams on every play. But instead of just playing a role of standing in there and grinding with two offensive linemen on every play to let the linebackers clean up and make plays, Oliver set out to make plays of his own.

He’d routinely defeat double teams and if the help from a second offensive lineman did not arrive in time, Oliver was already in the backfield causing problems for the opposing offense.

“I’ve watched his film in college and got to see him do some individual work in Buffalo,” said former Bills defensive tackle Kyle Williams. “He’s an explosive, powerful athlete. He played a lot of zero technique (head up on the center) at the University of Houston. Now he’s going to be playing a lot of three technique work or they’re going to ask him to showcase his explosiveness his athleticism. Once he gets comfortable I think you’re going to see him get a little bit better, a little bit better, a little bit better. And he’ll eventually take off because of his elite skill set.”

Oliver’s single-season best for tackles for loss in college was the 22 he had in 12 games as a freshman. Who knows what he’s capable of over the course of a 16-game season, but if he stays healthy Oliver should be a major headache for opposing offenses."

1 Like

Oliver said he isn’t concerned with others’ expectations at this stage of his development.

And he’s not ready to set definitive goals for himself.

“There’s no pressure,” Oliver said, “as long as I get better at something. I’m a young guy. I don’t know left from right, as far as the NFL is concerned, so as long as I get better and take it day by day, step by step, I’ll be all right.”

" Ed Oliver, DT, Bills

A year before the draft, Oliver was the guy in many way-too-early mock drafts as the first overall pick. As a junior he improved as a pass rusher, but for some reason, when the pre-draft process began, he was widely considered someone who’d be picked well outside the top 5 and maybe outside the top 15.

Days before the draft, Oliver received a lot of buzz, and rumors swirled about many teams inside the top 7 being very interested in him. When it was all said and done, Oliver went No. 9 overall and was the second defensive tackle off the board. Crazy ride.

And he landed in an ideal situation with the Bills but has the difficult task of replacing Kyle Williams, a disruptive figure on the inside in Buffalo for over a decade.

While not as polished, Oliver’s combine and pro day figures were in line with Aaron Donald’s, and the Houston product will be given the freedom to attack up the field at the play-making three technique position. Oliver is in the mold of the modern-day pass-rushing defensive tackle and will be an instant starter on a strong Buffalo defense as a rookie."

2 Likes

Ed Oliver, DT (pick 9, Round 1)

Floor: Grady Jarrett

Ceiling: Geno Atkins
Bell curve middle: Jurrell Casey

2019 Bills Draft Retrospective. Ed Oliver talk at 9:40 - 12:30.

Spotify

1 Like