Ed Oliver playing?

They were still in Oakland when I was a kid, however, by the time I started watching :football:, they were in LA. Age thing is right.

1 Like

If you’re 60+ age then you remember them as Oakland Raiders. As young kid I remember watching Lamonica throw to Belitnikoff, Warren Wells, Cliff Branch–Houston kid, had several future HOF on the line Art Shell, Gene Upshaw, Otto and who could forget their HC-- John Madden. Great teams in mid–late 60s, 70s and into the 80s!

3 Likes

I went to a game to see the LA Raiders, but I couldn’t get out of those little elevators.

1 Like

Great memories of Raiders in the old AFL days. Watched a pre game practice at Baseball field near Jeppeson Stadium. Could just walk on to the field and watch the practice. Al Davis was involved in everything. Our own Dan Birdwell, Dalva Allen & Jim Norris plus the great Jim Otto, Tom Flores, Cotton Davidson & Fred Williamson were on the team. Still remember the size & quickness of the players. The next day they beat the Oilers.

1 Like

Who could ever forget the Heidi Bowl. I was young kid watching the game-- Jets vs Raiders and remember situation. Oakland scores 2 late td’s in last min that very few got to see bc NBC producers switched to Heidi movie at 7 et. Joe Namath and Jets go on to win the SB that same season.
#Memories

3 Likes

The company my dad was working for in Oakland had 50 yard season tickets and had a linebacker work for them during the summer off season. Of course I watched them mostly on TV, but it was exciting to see them live. Many fond memories, because there was 20 year period when the Raiders won more games than any other team.

2 Likes

+1.

1 Like

Did you know that Cliff Branch was once committed to UH? How about Branch on one side and Elmo on the other! And of course Riley Odoms at TE

2 Likes

Wow. Did not know that. I know he went to Colorado. He and Blintikoff were some combo for Raiders in early 70s. Route runner & Mr Speed. Did Branch go to Wheatley or Worthing i forget. Thinking it was one of 2.

1 Like

It was Worthing. Pretty sure he actually went to Colorado to run track , then football came into play. Sadly he passed suddenly last year.
May he Rest In Peace.

1 Like

I best recall them from Kenny (The Snake) Stabler and the Oakland Raiders. Enjoyed the heck out of his time in Houston. Kinda old school fun stuff like Don Merideth.

1 Like