Elandon Roberts - Ft Bend Traffic stop

I do exactly what you do . Hands on steering wheel and stay seated in car and don’t move .I wait for instructions from the officer and do them without delay. Much plays into an officer’s reaction to traffic stop, a video does not define the total situation. Just saying’ .

There is a lot left to be explained. Why wasn’t he pulled over immediately? How long was the cop following him?

Yes, under normal circumstances you stay in the car when pulled over. This doesn’t seem normal.

I feel bad for Elandon that this happened to him. He clearly felt harassed. The fact that the sheriff’s department called to apologize says something.

Until I see evidence that Elandon actually did something wrong I’m taking his side in this complaint.

3 Likes

Disappointed to see that DWB is still a criminal offense in Fort Bend County.

10 Likes

Police Harassment is real. BTW, I am also married to an Attorney and she remember this incident as well. Back in 2006, we would take vacations to do work for the American Urologist Association and that year, they were having their convention in Atlanta, Georgia. She and I both (We were just dating then) and a friend of hers was driving up to Atlanta and would take turns driving, since that was the longest trip we took at the time…so I started first. From Houston to somewhere in Louisiana. So the other friend who was in the US Army took over and was driving in Mississippi at night when we got pulled over for no reason. (The vehicle was mine, by the way…so I gave my licence and registration to the officer. He told me he didn’t want my licence and registration (which is the first and only time I have ever been told that), so he told the friend to get out of the car. He questioned her down, so after that he question me down, asking me what AUA stood for?, where we were going?, Why were we going there?, what City was it in and so forth, the he questioned my future wife the same. He concluded and told me that, since all our stories matched, he was going to let us go. (Let us go??? What did we do, other than having Texas plates???) We didn’t do any wrong, but was harassed for no reason.

2 Likes

I am pro-law enforcement, but officers have an obligation to do their jobs impartially, and they should be trained to identify their unconscious biases.

4 Likes

DK…I have experienced just about the same thing. I never felt so vulnerable and scared.

Ok, it seems we all agree this was poorly handled. Thankfully no one ended up hurt.

That said. Does that mean we all support Kaepernick taking a knee? Kaepernick said he refused to stand during the national anthem because of his views on the country’s treatment of racial minorities. This exactly the kind of incident he wanted to bring attention too.

3 Likes

I have been stopped by white male cops, black male cops, and white female cops, all for speeding. I used to own a T-bird that just refused to do the speed limit; not my fault. :smirk: I have only had a couple of tickets since I got rid of that criminal car.

I have been treated very well and professionally on most occasions, but occasionally I would get someone who was surly thought it part of their job to lecture me in a rather harsh manner. I chalk it up to one of several reasons such as they were having a bad day, they were tired of having to stop speeders since they had more important things to think about, or they may have just been a jerk with authority. I have no way of knowing the situation of the officer in ERobs case, but it appears he was wrong in the way he handled it. But, my actions never change, I am compliant and courteous, and thank them for doing their job after they complete writing the ticket.

One cop told me I was unusually upbeat after getting a ticket. I told him, this is Texas and almost everone speeds. He caught me this times, but there are hundreds or thousands of times I haven’t been. He laughed and agreed with me about almost everyone speeding.

On one occasion I was doing 70 at night on I-10 and was stopped. I asked the officer what the problem was and he said I was speeding and I knew I had my cruise control on 70 since I slow down at night. He said the speed limit at night was 65. I asked, “Are you sure?” putting emphasis on “sure.” He laughed and told me yes he was and gave me a warning.

I give the cops the benefit of the doubt since theirs is a tough job and every time they stop someone, it is a possible life or death situation since you don’t know who is in the car and whether they are armed, drunk and therefore unpredictable, or what. I try to be as pleasant as possible, if for no other reason, to try to lighten their day.

2 Likes

No, because he could have found a manner and means of protesting that didn’t involve disrespecting our national symbols, what they stand for, and the thousands that have died fighting under them.

No one disputes that his underlying cause is righteous.

But he could have protested in a less offensive way.

3 Likes

ddkately,

Cognitive bias is REAL, unfortunately.

At so-called “baby prosecutor’s school” we have a lot of classes in that.

You have to be on the lookout for it, and guard against it.

2 Likes

I dont want to say cops are bad. They get alot of negative media some real justified others not so much. One particular a hole was on a power trip involving me. I was going home at 1am from the gym because my schedule wouldn’t let me go earlier than 11. I had my shirt off in my car because I was drenched and glistening in sweat lol. I stopped to get gas at the shell by my house. This guy lied about me not having my turn signal on at the light on green after I finished pumping gas (which on a turn on green?). I told him he was lying (because I did) and that he should be more respectful because he was aggressive from the start. I told him to give me the ticket because I was tired that it was fine. He said I’ll take you to jail and tow your car. He told me to step out of my car with nothing but my shorts and then put me in his vehicle. Took me out after 20 minutes and told me I should respect him. (He didnt search my car) I have never been more pissed off in my life. But this was back when social media didnt change lives yet. It was just for communication. I have met some good ones I just dont think in this case Elandon was in the wrong.

1 Like

That is a pretty broad brush to paint with, condemning a whole department on the actions of one officer one time.

4 Likes

this likely has nothing to do with race…it has to do with police egos…contempt of cop is the real charge here

This is going to be one of THOSE threads…

One July 4th, we were returning home for a dance about 12:30 AM. PO came out of a beer joint on main street (several cop cars at that location at that time). Lit me up. I pulled over and was told the stop was far a non functioning license plate light. Got a warning (hispanic cop). Three blocks late, I arrived at home and checked. Plate light was functioning just fine. I called the PD office and put up a stink. Officer came by my house and offered the following . . . . . I see you light is functioning, but it is not bright enough . . . . . then, maybe you hit a bump and the light came back on . . . . . I feel personally this was a BS stop. (I live in a small Texas town) . . . . . This past Thursday, I was driving slowly thru town, just sort of sightseeing, not being in a hurry. A PO pulled in behind me and followed me thru town. I pulled into the left turn lane, with my indicator on, and the PO moved into the right hand lane, 2 lanes away from the left turn lane. Then, all of a sudden, he took a severe left and pulled in behind me. Followed me for about 2 miles, then turned around and headed the other way. My suspicions are he was either the PO who stopped me or there was a serious conversation somewhere and my vehicle was recognized. Some cops do have bad attitudes. That being said, they do have a very dangerous job. When stopped, I immediately roll down the window, turn the inside lights on and place my hands on the steering wheel, in plain sight. I do not want any confrontations when they are in fear . . . . . and believe me, they are in fear during every stop, most especially any night stop . . . . .

4 Likes

All I have to say is after watching the video, is that cops act like cops (above the law) and in this situation, with the lying and the stupid excuses, these officers were run of the mill assholes. I am glad I do not live in their county, and thanks to this video, I will never live in this county. Jim Crow writ large. Anyhow, you guys making excuses, giving thanks, etc, are just guarding a guilty conscience. Poor americans. I have a close relative who is a cop, and he is no different. He professes high values, and performs on another level. And for you old white posters “thanking” them for their service, good for you! You just were never on the other end of that barrel. Shame on you. That video shows a travesty of “justice” and it should be called out as such. Nothing more, nothing less. It just shows, by many comments, that we do not live in a democracy, but in an ideocracy, where ideology is stronger than the evidence before your own eyes. An educated citizenry would view this as an outrage, from whatever political tendency, and yet all you old white folks come out with your “personal” stories of obedience and thanks. What a joke. Idiocracy. Long live the people of the United States (ie the real people that make up the majority). To justify or try to hide this incident is a reflection on you, not on ERob. Those officers of Ft Bend can kiss my…Jim Crow is over. I hope ERob and his lawyer get a great payout, since they have the means to make that happen. Most of us normal citizens don’t have that option. What a travesty of “justice”. Watch the video on the Chron. Dang it man, after seeing the video and the posts on this site, I just can’t believe we live in the same country. Have you no decency? No heart? No brain? And you went to college? Thanks Law for your comments. Go Coogs!

7 Likes

The only issue I saw from the Cop was when he said ERob wouldn’t comply. And to the cops defense, maybe having to tell him twice was why he said that (which is silly, but whatever). If anything, his wife didn’t comply as he told her to go inside and close the garage, which she didn’t.

Outside of that, I didn’t see anything that I haven’t experienced from cops every time I have been stopped, which is why I am not a big fan of cops at all. In fact, this cop is much better than most experiences I have had. I have yet to run into a “nice” cop at a traffic stop. Black or white. But this cop wasn’t rude or hostile imo.

I have no idea why people think this was handled improperly. Every time I get stopped, I have to wait there for 5-10 min to wait for the cop to come to my window. I assume they are running my plates etc. He then does exactly what happened here, ask for license and insurance. So please let me know what I am missing.

And for sure, I do not get out of the car. The golden rule with cops, is you just do what they say (unless it is harming someone) and file a complaint later if you feel you have been wronged imo.

And I don’t understand why race has anything to do with this. Other than people assuming or being stereotypical.

1 Like

The speed and effortlessness that the cop lied with on the radio about ERobs behavior should be astonishing to everyone. Sadly, its just not surprising anymore.

If this was an employee of mine he’d be shown the door.

2 Likes

Its not about defending douche cop actions. Im Hispanic and the cop that stopped me was also Hispanic. Its about their attitude when it comes to staying professional and within their scope of their job. You dont condemn the actions of the few to the whole thats idiotic. and to at @CoogCK20K Its his unprofessionalism with a civilian and his lying on radio about the situation that happened prior to him calling it in. He was making a situation bigger than what it was and thats not good ontop of that he was already home so getting out outside his home was the normal thing to do.

I got out of my car at a station on Kuykendahl and I heard a voice tell me to get back in my vehicle. At first I kept walking, then I saw a State Trooper psrked behind my car. I came back around and walked towards my door. He yelled, “keep your hands where I can see them!” I was confused so I put my hands up and leaned against my car.

He told me he pulled me over for expired tags. I told him I didnt know he was behind me because it was daylight and I was listening to Kraughbin really loud in my car. I just stopped for some Funyuns and a 32oz. Big Red.

In the end we laughed and talked about Kraughbin. He didn’t write a ticket. I am not a minority.

These cops have to make decisions on safety quickly. They sometimes overreact. Its human nature.

1 Like

I don’t understand by what you mean by being unprofessional? What did he say to ERob that was not correct? What did he do TO ERob or say to him that was unprofessional?

And again, he had to tell ERob twice to get in the car. I, of course, think it’s stupid to think that ERob wasn’t complying, but maybe that is why he said that. Either way, that was never an issue with that stop itself in actually dealing with ERob.

And the waiting part, I don’t understand what people expect. I am assuming he was running his information. How long that takes can be due to a lot of things, but I didn’t hear him discussing dinner plans to make ERob wait. This is typical of when I get stopped.

I am amazed that people have had better experiences with cops that this. This is exactly how every cop has ever acted with me and actually better. I have had some really shitty experiences. For instance, I have been pulled over for no license plate light 3 times in my life. And each time, the light was fine.

2 Likes