Elephant in the Room

There was something off about the tickets to the rice game, I tried to get tickets on stub hub and there were only like 300 tickets. Cheapest was $30, which is really odd by how empty the place was. Would expect thousands to be available and at like $10

1 Like

I must have missed many of the sold out student section games. I must have missed them in BB also.

I think student attendance is below par.

4 Likes

The only thing that worries me is that our stadium will be a neutral site for all these teams and they will feel at home at our stadium.

1 Like

UH has to win and win big for Rich Lard to be there.

1 Like

Honestly in Houston you need a three-pronged attack to succeed.

1. Great promotion of the program (both Sumlin and Herman were good at this.)
  2. A winning team (ditto Sumlin and Herman)
  3. Decent, well-known opponents

Its tough but it can be done with a good work ethic in the AD’s office.

[Note: I think Dana is trying to do it with #2 alone. That’s noble but its harder]

1 Like

Why would we care if we pad Rice’s numbers at all? They always raise prices on everything from tickets to parking, etc. when they play the Coogs, so eff 'em. I will lose exactly zero minutes of sleep worrying about an attendance number at Rice Stadium, much as I wouldn’t for SMU. And to top it off, they don’t come the games when they play us at TDECU.

There are many other things to complain about. This ain’t one of them.

3 Likes

I have room full of cougar memorabilia and season tickets but I could not pay my brother, who is also an alum, to go to a game, it is not for everybody.

If the student turnout for the Cage Rage kickoff event was any indicator the students are going to show up in force.

This season is probably not going to be a good indicator of anything because Covid is still around and certain media and political types are calling college football games super-spreaders. I would guess we double or triple our seasons tickets next year.

For the record I did not go to Rice games because their stadium is garbage and the game started too early, if I am going to sit out in the heat of early September it will be at TDECU.

2 Likes

Im sure last on their bullet point list of “School Pride and selling out games” is a University of ____ Texas-Houston or Texas ____ University rebrand. You dont invest over a billion and settle for piss poor attendance and school pride. If Houston doesnt serve than need then broader appeal to Texans is needed.

UCF people want to be renamed University of Orlando boy oh boy city schools have it way worst than directionals these days. You are locking yourself into a single location for fandom and support. For college sports this is a awful idea.

At the end of the day i think joining the Big12 will solve this issue.

1 Like

There is a global pandemic going on. Some people just feel safer at home. Which I completely understand. Doesn’t make them any less of a fan

6 Likes

In this city, you have to win and win big. And by “winning” I mean more than the box score. That’s why people get fired going 8-4. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

I don’t get your response to my nuanced post. In this case, using Rich Lard as a metaphor.

it was a mistake

Back in the SWC days TCU, SMU, Baylor and usually Tech had awful teams and brought no fans. Only ATM, ut and the hogs brought fans. Still, UH fans often stayed away, the dome was a horrible atmosphere and I don’t remember any student section at all.

Another thing I left out is, we’ve got to harness the hatred. It helps to absolutely hate a couple of other schools. I pick Baylor and Tech.

If they haven’t defamed us enough then we need to make ### up.

Tell the kids they stole your hubcaps. Claim a fellow co-worker Baylor alum embezzled money from Star of Hope. This is tribal warfare. And your contribution starts at home.

1 Like

Check out the individual game ticket prices, and you’ll get a good indication of turnout.

I’ll just say they’re not “priced to sell” right now.

Winning solves a lot of the attendance concerns. That being said, the pandemic is going on. Its still not like it was a couple years ago with people going out in mass crowds etc. etc.

Yes, let’s be real. We don’t have the physical following at the stadium like a lot of the Big 12 teams have. Okie St. TT, Baylor all probably have more fans attend even though we are a large school in the 4th largest city in America. It’s a culture thing. We just have to change the perception of attending games. And yes, people have shite to do on the weekends, that’s life. Doesn’t mean they are not fans.

We need better promotion to the CURRENT students attending UH. Having a great, lively, active, rowdy, packed student section is part of what makes college football so damn exciting. That was an issue even when I was there 10-15 yrs ago. Not too late though, we can turn it around.

3 Likes

Even Herman b####ed about attendance. Think of the atmosphere had he coached us in the B12.

3 Likes

What I have noticed about our stadium is that the porches (concourse) are so nice most of the fans stay up there and watch the game. Especially when the weather is not ideal. You can see the game really good up there. I don’t think I’ve ever seen all the home side seats in front of the club completely full. It looks bad on TV but that’s why.

4 Likes

I am a UH fanatic but due to some injuries over the last few months, I can’t make it to most of the football games this year. Hopefully by the time Basketball rolls around I can make those games and maybe my wife(also a big fan) and I will be able to make the last two home games. I watched the Rice game on TV.

10 Likes

You sir have a pass. Hope you are healing well.

1 Like