Elephant in the Room

You really wanted to open up a hornet’s nest didn’t you?

I think you’ll find a lot of the members on this board are longtime cougar fans. Some of us, like me, may not live locally, but we are very passionate about our cougars, win or lose. We, not just on this board, are the least likely ones to be bandwagon fans because we have invested a lot of blood, sweat, and, tears in the cougars for years and years.

Hornets nest? Read the thread title. Quit being soft. I admire you old Coogs, you guys are the best, but there isn’t enough of you. There’s a reason we were sent to CUSA.

TCU sent out lots of emails about $10 tickets for its Cal game and $20 for tickets for both Cal and Kansas in November. Even still, I know people who didn’t want to go across the Metroplex for a free ticket. End result was decent attendance (38,361) and a win.

1 Like

Agree. I’m still on the Pearland Oiler football Facebook group and they post about Derek and his two former teammates that play D1 on TV every week. They post times and stations. A teacher and team photographer for PHS and UH will post pictures. It at least gets a lot of support for TV viewers, if anything, and they do watch.

5 Likes

It’s been pointed out on this board in the 25 or more years I’ve been on it that our fan base was pretty old. Our older fans are pretty consistent, and until recently, predominant.

Where we’ve missed out is the people who are now middle-aged. When I was a student in the mid 90’s, students at games was almost nonexistent. No doubt, there were some fanatics, but not a lot.

I think we lost a generation of students between the 90s and 00’s. I think student turnout started picking up in the Sumlin era. But a lot of students in that lost era have little to no interest in UH athletics or UH, generally.

Our problem with older alumni is that they’re disappearing. We can’t rely on them anymore. The middle-aged and the younger alumni need to step up in attendance and donations.

5 Likes

Every time we have a pig opponent I’m waffling on going or not. Then I get to the game and I think, “what a dumb—…why would I miss this?!”

1 Like

I wasn’t replying to the thread title, I was replying to your comment about older fans being bandwagon fans. Soft? Hardly.

If you think our attendance was the sole reason why we went to CUSA instead of the Big XII, you ought to do some studying.

This older Coog — your bandwagon fan — has had season tickets since 1978 and has missed a handful of games since 1976. There’s bunches like me. Your statement is based on ignorance.

Delmar, I wish you a speedy recovery. You have been a dedicated Coog for many decades now.

Yes, it’s true, the view of the game and the concessions are much better at home… But if you’re a FAN then there isn’t anything that beats the atmosphere and excitement of being in the stadium.

1 Like

Older alums that have actively supported he program for 40-50 years? Wake up youngin. We are the backbone that’s kept the program alive.

Sent to CUSA? UH is one of the creators of the conference lol. You must be young

KState has a great following. Techs following is pretty good as well. I don’t think they will hurt due tot he loss of little t and ou

a lot of defensive remarks, the elephant is still in the room…LOL

1 Like

Hello their friend, looks like you and I are contemporaries! (I was at UH from 96-01).

You were there when we had President Goerke and President Arthur K. Smith. Goerke was kind of a nobody, but Smith was actually a very good President. He was the one who brought Dave Maggard on board and really started to reinvest in athletics. Also did a great job of getting us through TS Allison.

He was followed by Jay Gogue and then Dr. Khator. Honestly, we have had pretty good presidents the last 25 years, which is why we have improved so much.

4 Likes

Once we begin BIG 12 play, our per game average attendance and total season attendance will increase considerably. Perhaps we should table the elephant-in-the-room discussion until then. I assure everyone, based on 25 years of C-USA and AAC experience, nothing is going to change until then.

1 Like

We got shut out the 2nd half against Tech and looked bad doing it. Houston fans are front runners and that is nothing new. Filling up the stands for Grambling seems unlikely. If we’d beaten Tech, it would be a different story.

1 Like

I wish we had a “thumbs down” option. I would be using it quite a bit :neutral_face:

6 Likes

The last home game I missed was the Miami game in 1976. I should have quit that job instead of missing the game. Otherwise, I have not missed a game since 1972. And I am not planning on missing any more of them.

11 Likes

Ok. You made me look it up. I was there for Pickering’s end time too. So I had 3 in 4 years. I honestly don’t remember Smith. It just seemed like the President was always looking for that next job. It’s just time to make Dr. K pres for life and if she tries to leave, we refuse. Lol.

3 Likes