Elmo Wright -- College Football Hall of Fame

Like the majority of former UH athletes and alums Elmo has spent his time concentrating on his engineering career. Whether he cares about UH or not I have no idea. If he doesn’t that does not make him any lesser of a former great football player.
I do know that Mo got his degree and played for the Chiefs for several years despite the knee problems.
I can name you many former athletes, some stars, who don’t give a hoot about what the Coogs are doing these days. That doesn’t negate their accomplishments and the great things they did for the University.
That all said, I think I can say with fairly good accuracy that many, if not most successful Coog alums have kids who went to other colleges. That’s life in the big city.
Elmo was one of the rare athletes who treasured his education at UH…and I bet you could find him proudly wearing his UH ring…some folks, believe it or not, are not that interested in sports…

1 Like

I work for a large engineering company and there are a whole lot of these guys that could care less about sports. I get the, “I never had time for games in college, study took my time” type answer from bunch of those guys. Yep, lots of nerds in engineering.

1 Like

I work for a small engineering company and what you say is true…I have one other person that follow Houston sports. I am the only UH fan in the office. We have several UH grads.

1 Like

Sorry, didn’t intend to at all to diminish any of EM’s achievements on the field; his AA status and records speak for themselves. I too have fond memories of watching his dance in the EZ when he played for the Chiefs - great stuff.

The point of my post was to make an observation that even great players move on and don’t stay connected to their schools or former teams. Nothing wrong with that, and it has no bearing on their accomplishments.

2 Likes

Agree totally…I wish all of our athletes and alums were loyal to UH…especially the ones with deep pockets LOL…

3 Likes

Elmo worked for Harris County and retired from the County after finishing with the Toll Road Authority.

Mece86, this is for the College Football Hall of Fame–not the UH Hall of Fame.

2 Likes

I met up with him a few years ago at a barbecue joint and he went out of his way to talk old time UH football and he told me many of a story. What a fantastic guy and very pleasant. But he appeared distant from the program although his heart was in the old days. At the time he hadn’t been out to the new facilities. He was having a hard time walking at the time. I wouldn’t be surprised that he doesn’t even know that he is up for the recognition into the HoF. The university should do their best to get him back out at UH and honor him.

I was like 6 and 7 when he played at UH and I told him I remembered his great play at UH but most of all his dancing. He laughed about that and almost seemed surprised I would remember his playing days at UH. Who couldn’t remember his play and especially his dancing. He told me that some opposing teams would threaten him not to dance on their field or they were going to kill him.

1 Like

I don’t doubt that one single bit; you should hear some of the stories told by some of our other great black players - Warren McVey, for example! Death threats were rather common from such places as LSU & Ole Miss, alas.

2 Likes