End Of The Freshman Guard Experiment?

Saying Sasser had a good game other than going 1 for 12 is a little like “Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?”

He’s been great in many games this year and I’m guessing he busts out of this slump soon, but he was definitely a net negative overall against UCONN. You can’t go 1 for 12 and not be.

Same thing with Caleb today. Nice that he grabbed 6 boards and he made some good plays, but there’s no way someone doesn’t have a bad game on the whole if they go 1 for 13.

2 Likes

Tough crowd when players , especially freshmen hit a bit of a slump. It isn’t an experiment, it is Coach using his players as he sees fit based on multiple factors .

3 Likes

Sampson said in the presser that those two guys will shoot, and shoot, and keep shooting. He’s working from the premise that we’re not a good shooting team regardless and we’re going to win games on “touches”. He said when we have 25 or more we don’t lose.

I think he’s referring to touches on offensive rebounds.

He said Mills is a pure iso guy and he has been given the green light to shoot until he his arms fall off…if he’s 0-for-15 or 14-for-15. He basically said when Mills has the ball the other guys are under instruction to clear out.

I was really surprised by his comments in that presser. Very enlightening, and dare I say, provocative insight.

3 Likes

I like Mills but he’s a year away from being all conference. Just needs to get stronger with maturity physically wise. Team will have a more potent offense and outside shooting next season.

Coach was talking about tips on rebounds. Tipping the ball so that another teammate can get the rebound.

Right now, I much prefer the freshmen over DJ. Man, I ended up holding my breath every time he ended up with the ball. Very erratic yesterday for him.

1 Like

I’ve also noticed that, especially in the latter part of the conference season, teams are hand checking Mills to death. Watch his defender one on one - he is pushed, clutched and grabbed multiple times per possession. He does need to get physically stronger to limit the effectiveness of this tactic, but it would be nice if AAC refs called a hand check once in awhile to make people play honest defense.

1 Like

Mills and Sasser are the real deal. Yesterday, both of those guys were off, but they weren’t off by much. There were a ton of shots that rimmed out or trickled off the rim. The whole team was off in the first half. I can’t believe we were only down by 6 after going 8-36 from the floor.

I love that CKS has so much confidence in Mills. There are times when Mills takes a shot and I can’t tell if it was a bad shot or not. I’ve been conditioned to think that every shot he takes is going to go in.

Overall, I agree with @CougarM

This team might do some magical things in the tourney this year, but next year is going to be tremendous if Grimes and Hinton stick around. At this point, I can’t see why they wouldn’t.

1 Like

Why in the world would Hinton leave? And the only way Grimes gets drafted is if he blows up in the playoffs

1 Like

A bunch of people on here at the beginning of the season were talking about Hinton potentially leaving. I don’t see that happening. I’m not sure I understand your point about Grimes.

My point is why would Grimes leave period. He has had two really good games in a row but has been inconsistent this year.
What I am saying is maybe he leaves if he continues to play like he did yesterday and blows up in the tourney.
Unless you know something I don’t he has not shown to be an NBA player to date.
Going overseas is a possibility but I don’t think he is desperate for money,
And I think he likes it here. That said we will have to sit back and see

2 Likes

Oh, “blows up in the tourney.” Your first response said “blows in the tourney” which is why I was confused. For the record, I don’t think there’s a single person on this team that should leave early for the draft. I completely agree with you that Grimes has no good reason to leave. But, sometimes people surprise me (like Armoni). My point was that if everyone stays (as they should), next year could be really, really good.

2 Likes

Agree totally…especially if Grimes stays! And thanks for the heads up on the blow up deal lol

1 Like

Saw Grimes having lunch last week in the Heights with a VERY pretty young lady. Maybe his sister, but prolly not.

At the presser I think KS let it slip by naming next year’s seniors. I don’t think he mentioned Grimes. May not mean anything.

1 Like

Grimes is a junior next year.

6 Likes

The fellow he left out who would be senior next year was Jarreaux

4 Likes

Maybe you’re right. I knew he left out someone substantial that otherwise would have been a senior. And I forgot Grimes is so young.

1 Like

Have I ever been wrong… don’t answer that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

ive noticed he avoids talking about grimes and jarreau when talking about next year…he was once flat asked about the prospects of next year with everyone returning and he said not to look that far ahead he is not sure what everyone is doing, mentioned armoni as an example…i wouldnt look too much into that…its probably just him not counting his chicken till they hatch

3 Likes