ESPN could renegotiate contract?

Clue word: Could. Not necessarily “Would” or “Will”

1 Like

Why not? They have the upper hand here. It would make sense to demand some concessions from AAC e.g. a GoR in return for keep the monetary value of deal unchanged.

Do you want UH to be locked down so we can’t move when the opportunity come?? I don’t. But we should get paid for what we as a collective group has done for the AAC.

1 Like

No GOR, we’ve got to get in a P5, Khator is smarter than that!

3 Likes

If they try to renegotiate, I wonder what leverage AAC has of going elsewhere. Since the rights never hit the open market in the first place.

This isn’t news. We all knew this and have been talking about it here. Indications are that it will not be significantly renegotiated.

https://twitter.com/C_Austin_Cox/status/1142474880757223424

I think there may be a quick renegotiation that says “Your conference is offering us 8% fewer games so we want an 8% reduction in payout”
 leaving each team making about as much as it did before*. But I don’t think our conference is significantly less valuable than it was before, so our own payout should be about the same. The only thing that has changed is the reduction in inventory.

• Which is why I’m not all that confident “Let’s just not expand and each team gets to keep more money” is an option.
1 Like

If UConn didn’f]t bring anything to the table, it should not change when they leave. Womens basketball excluded. How they had they highest generated revenue of any AAC team is astounding.

1 Like

Are you kidding? GoR for losing UCONN football? Nah. They might try and Aresco may do it, but it doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

The AAC should go hard for BYU
then yes
renegotiate the contract. It would be a huge LOL IMHO

Most likely the renegotiation is that ESPN is not going to divvy UConn’s share among the remaining schools. There is a ‘conference constitution clause’, most likely to renegotiate for school movement. UConn’s move was an anticipated possibility, but really that clause is in place for the mid-2020’s for the possibility of the schools considered more valuable moving to P5 conferences.

1 Like

Thanks, this is what I was trying to say above but was having a weird amount of trouble articulating. It’s pretty reasonable for ESPN to say less money for less content and as if the teams aren’t losing money they’ll probably agree pretty quickly.

I doubt anyone wants to re-start negotiations from scratch, so quickly after having hammered everything out.

Makes sense but even more of a travesty that the big 12 ended up splitting 14 shares, 10 ways.

It was what, a 2-3mil bump not to expand? I don’t think they’re splitting 14 shares 10 ways, otherwise they’d be the top paid conference
that would be an extra 16mil per year

I meant back when aTM et al left, the payout to the conference remained the same.

Even more unworthy was being paid not to expand.

Well played big 12. Too bad deloss wasn’t our ad when he applied.

1 Like

I think he’s referring to the fact that they have twice been paid not to expand. So 10+2+2.

The first time was when they went from 12 to 10. They got more money at that point because they were already mid-way through a contract and their value had exceeded what they were being paid. Imagine if UConn had left two years ago. ESPN would not have renegotiated because we were worth way more than $22/m a year. But right now we are worth close to the contract that we signed. Our teams are not worth over $7m a piece (on average) because if they were we would have gotten that when we signed the contract two months ago.

Ah gotcha

I would say that there is MORE content since UConn left :sunglasses:

1 Like

Quality content. :laughing:

2 Likes

ESPN is benefiting more because UCONN left since they won’t have to waste air time on a football team nobody wants to see. Maybe we should demand more money.

4 Likes