‘Everybody loves Kellen’: The story behind Houston’s other Sampson - The Daily Cougar

3 Likes

Everyone may love Kellen, but most importantly, how much does high rated recruits love him?

1 Like

He’s proven he can recruit.

4 Likes

Considering the fact that he is our best recruiter, I would say they like him a lot.

5 Likes

He’s one of the best recruiters in the country.

3 Likes

Recruits have thanked Kellen before Kelvin in their commitment and signing interviews. Everybody loves the assistant coach til he becomes the head coach haha we’ll see we’ll be cheering him on.

One of the best in the country? I like Kellen and I think he is a good recruiter but what makes him one of the best in the country? Just curious.

1 Like

We can start with UH has had its highest recruited class. We were in the top idk what when we last checked and hes brought Nate, Caleb, Grimes, DJ, Brison, Corey, Galen, Rob etc… our next 3 got or are on the verge of getting McDs all American nominations and they’re in the top 100? Did I miss something?

2 Likes

Go ask Nate Hinton and Caleb Mills.

4 Likes

Also although we think it should be an easy sales job it’s still not as easy recruiting to UH as we think. There is a ton competition they have to fight off & there are still negative perceptions of the university.

1 Like

Yep - and spread mostly by our “friends” in Austin and Collie Station! Same as always.

I guess that’s a good point. UH hasn’t been the easiest to recruit to. Although the facilities are up to par now, it might take another year or two to get the really elite kids to be convinced to come here. I guess my thinking on the very best recruiters in the country are the ones who consistently pull the elite level players straight from high school. But perhaps each situation needs to be taken into account. Now coaching wise, I think we have some of the best in the country because like the article states, our coaches develop our players to elite level.

Kellen has shown to be a great recruiter by recruiting high talent guys that fit our culture. I don’t care how good kids may be, if they don’t fit the culture and may cause disruption, they aren’t someone we would want. We are doing well with our recruiting and sustained success is one of our main objectives, the main objective is to win championships, both AAC and NCAA.

2 Likes

I get that and believe he is doing great for our program. I just wondered if “one of best in the country” really suited him as a recruiter based on the type of players we have gotten into the program during his tenure up to this point.

I think you raised a valid question but once you start recruiting 5*, one and done kids that’s where the shadiness starts. I think based off CKS past issues they have made a clear decision not try with those kids who require “special” recruiting. There is a lot of behind the scenes payments happening for those blue chip kids and the blue bloods don’t like losing out.

4 Likes

We went after the kid from Austin a few years back…he went on to be one and done at UT.
I have no doubts that coach Sampson might be somewhat picky, but he is not going to turn down many five stars.
And btw, he seems to be pretty comfortable coaching Grimes. But I also think Sampson is a lot like Penders was, not wanting to get involved with all the hub–bub that goes along with the high dollar five star players…

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1225885935574929409

3 Likes

With this designation, any possibility of Kelvin retiring and simply handing the job Kellen after this season.

Why? This was all done at same time CKS agreed to his renewal. Kellen just got around to signing his renewal. Nothing has changed.

No, no chance. Kelvin Sampson has 5 years left on his contract after this year. Look for Kellen to take over then, not now.

1 Like