Example of Lack of Execution (with Pics)

So you’re saying a coach must find a scheme for a walk-on he’s forced to play because of injuries (who obviously had limited skills otherwise he would have been offered by someone) and you would expect him to execute in spite of a lower skill set? You can’t bench him – that’s not an alternative.

The best player in the country is a former walk on. One of the best WRs in the AAC is a former walk on. We’ve had a bit of success ourselves in the recent past with walk ons.

Not saying walk ons will save the program, but don’t dismiss them either

We are losing to teams with losing records. I don’t think they out talented us. We need to stop making excuses for the bad performances. This same thing happened when Levine was here.

1 Like

Your referring to Mayfield obviously.
He had 4 D1 offers…just not what he wanted. He was 5’11. He walked on TT by choice. He won starting QB job in camp as freshman walk on. He wasn’t devoloped in a month. Everybody was wrong about him.

People defended Levine. People even defended dimel!!

So it’s not a wonder that people will accept mediocrity and make excuses for it.

2 Likes

Players should be showing improvement towards the end of the season. Good coaches aid in player development as the season progresses. The poor tackling and missed assignments after a 2 week layoff falls on the shoulders of someone. Blame the players/talent if you want but it’s obvious the proper message either isn’t being received or is poorly communicated. Maybe that’s why our D is ranked 98th in total D with a week to go.

2 Likes

The defense does plenty right also. But most fans think your supposed to do it right so when you do it’s no big deal.
I choose to show pics from some plays where we failed as a defense and the reason it failed.
I will post some 3rd and longs from 1st qtr that defense stopped.
Egbule does keep contain at times…that tells me that he knows how to do it…but makes mistakes.
We all know how to hit a golf ball the right way, but don’t always hit them straight.
Some mistakes in football come from inexperience and sometimes being over anxious…wanting to something good…make a play. But in team sports you have to do your job and your share of plays will come your way. When you are the contain guy…you can’t leave until you arev100% sure ball not coming there, only then you can chase. The defense was solid …RB had no where to go…until he gave him the edge. It happens a lot…every time a runner gets the corner. Sometimes guy gets blocked and turned or cut blocked…he left his post and team paid for it.

Kind of. He got the start because the other guy (Michael Brewer) was hurt to start the season, but he made the most of it. Then he got hurt and lost his job to Davis Webb. All three of those guys ended up transferring.

As I remember, he put up big numbers but had a propensity to turn the ball over…a lot.

He matured quite a bit at OU, but that’s obviously a major work in progress.

I think our depth caught up to us on defense and we miss Adams at times. Hines is not a middle linebacker. In the Tulsa game and Tulane, we had a bunch of in game injuries and it caught up to us and probably impacted momentum/ mindset beyond just the field.

My only coaching gripe with Tulane was not taking the points early in the game. Your defense has been giving up about 17-20 points a game. You just need to score more than that.

I’m convinced. We have the best coaching staff in the country. The reason we are 1-3 against the American West is the players. And the heat.

Do I have this right?

2 Likes

Your right. We didn’t have depth for much of season. TT game and Tulsa were in 100 plus degree heat. Carter has made plays on DL since back…didn’t have him first 7 games. 2 of 3 corners had zero starts at beginning season. Robinson has start at LB vs Memphis …first career start. Peyton Turner and Fleming were our DL depth and they got killed vs Tulsa. Neither has seen field since Carter returned. Adams still looks less tha 100%. Kahlil missing last 2 games left us with no nickel. CMD plays him man on slot. Wilder and Stuard not available since early season injuries

“All I suggest is that a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.” Simon & Garfunkel’s “The Boxer”.

Some don’t want to hear facts, they just want to blast the coach.

1 Like