Expansion...a matter of when

I hear a lot of schools being mentioned as potential new schools for the B1G. If you haven’t figured it out by now, the B1G is all about adding more money to their conference.

That was obvious when they added Rutgers which includes the New York market and Maryland for the DC market. These schools are now in their footprint and they can garner more revenue from cable subscription from the Big Ten Network.

The B1G schools each get $51M and they are only interested in bluebloods like UT, OU or Notre Dame or schools locate in or near large TV markets where they can get premium cable subscription money from the Big Ten Network.

UH is a long shot to get in the B1G but the state of Texas is the next stop for the B1G if they want to increase their revenue.

If OU leaves, there’s no way they are going to another conference with UT. Maybe they would have gone with UT and Tx Tech to the PAC back a few years, but that didn’t happen and triggered the expansion fiasco. If OU goes to the B10, Nebraska would have a fit at the thought of UT following a long. Not saying UH would fill the void, but it would be either UT or OU to the B10, not both. IMO, since we’re all spitballing

2 Likes

Nebraska has no say in the matter. The only programs that matter are Ohio State and Michigan. If those 2 programs want anything, Nebraska and the rest of the Big 10 will have no choice but to go along. Besides Nebraska may hate UT, but the rest of the Big 10 will always side with/follow Ohio State and Michigan.

Adding UT and OU will add millions to Big 10 coffers, and since money is the only driving factor in realignment, if the Big 10 wants to maximize its revenue it’ll take UT and OU together. Only UT and Notre Dame would be more valuable as a pair.

That is exactly how the B1G thinks but I do think the LHN is an issue with the B1G. They are not going to allow the LHN to exist and compete in Texas against the Big Ten Network.

I doubt if Texas give up the LHN and the $15M a year.

You are correct. Naw, let’s not join the B1G that would be awful, lol.

1 Like

I am not saying let’s not join, if they invite. I am saying that there are a lot of moves out of our control that could interfere in an invitation being extended.

Currently the Big 10 pays out $51 million per program for all tiers of media rights, Texas earns $52 million for tier 1/2 rights from the Big 12 and LHN.

Adding UT and OU will result in a huge revenue bump for Big 10. Even giving up the LHN, Texas could be earning a lot more in a beefed up Big 10.

As someone posted here earlier it could just be Big 10 may feign interest in UH to force UT hand one way or they other. Right now UT and OU are in a position that by not extending its GoR to the Big 12, everyone is waiting to see what happens when the current Big 12 contract approached expiry and UT/OU have to make a call on whether or not extend their membership in the Big 12.

Like Swiggy used to say…I will see when I believe it…

He’s kind of like Peter crying wolf over and over; it gets to the point where you just don’t pay any attention to it. I pick UH to go 14-0 every year, that’s prety positive too. But nobody takes me serious on that either.

yeah, that may sound good to the casual fan, but I have news for you…the BIG doesnt use feign interest to force other teams to join. They dont have to. If they are intetested, you dont keep them waiting, period!

1 Like

For any other program this would be true. But for Texas and OU, it’s not necessarily the case. They are in a position that if they express even a passing interest in any conference, that conference won’t keep them waiting!

Also for legal reasons the Big 10 cannot directly approach Texas or OU. So they have to do so indirectly. It’s a chess game with Big 10 no doubt having several moves in mind. One of those moves could well be extending an invitation to UH. But their first move would be to land UT and/or OU.

My own belief is that the main reason for the delay in the next round of realignment is the fact that there is a very real possibility come 2025 at least 1 (most likely both) of UT and OU could be available.

UT and OU are for their part playing the waiting game very well. They know they will options no matter what. They have no sense of urgency, they don’t care that each year of delay in realignment is costing millions to the top G5 programs that are natural candidates for P5 membership.

If tomorrow morning UT and OU announce they are extending their GOR to the Big 12, or they will be bolting to a new conference come 2025, the realignment dominos will start to fall. Right now UT and OU are benefitting from the uncertainty as they know they hold the key to future realignment. Why hurry? That’s where Big 10 may want to force their hand.

I guess we will know more details from the mysterious BTM on the 25th … interesting that it was noted by Flugy/BTM that from somewhere inside the B1G hdqtrs that UH is being spoken about and needn’t worry about the Big12 any longer nor the horns or sooners deciding our fate … it doesn’t take a Sherlock/DrWatson to read between THOSE LINES …

as they say in the smokies … we are ripe for the pickin’s … meanwhile the horns and sooners are too busy smooching their own patooties waiting for would be suitors to come knocking …

3 Likes

This is more plausible than most people realize. Texas, OU and Kansas are the three most desirable teams in the Big 12. Texas and OU are absolutely leaving for greener pastures in 2023. If UH keeps improving athletically and acedemically, we are more desirable than all the other schools. In Renu I trust. I truly believe UH has options in the next round of realignment as the Big 12 leftovers are religious schools and schools in the middle of nowhere with no following. Worst case scenario, UH ends up in the Pac.

3 Likes

According to Anderson and Quantrill…

1 Like

The BIG likes to have all their teams in contiguous states; therefore, they have to take Kansas to get to Oklahoma. And then, they would want the state of Texas; that means the whorns or UH - - or both, to keep the conference at an even number.

The BIG wants no part of the LHN, so if uta insists on keeping that, it could mean the whorns would have to look elsewhere for a home. Independence, maybe? Would serve them right!

But, that would leave the BIG with an uneven membership. Now, if they could induce Notre Dame or someone else to come aboard - Arkansas, or Missouri, maybe; both have been struggling in the SEC! That would put an end to the balancing problem.

Just to toss a few other possibilities into the discussion.

1 Like

I keep forgetting it’s all about money. If the B1G tell UT and OU that with them the conference distribution will be $64-70M, UT would drop the LHN.

I would be excited if it were anyone but him. I guess we should be excited because I’d rather people make up good news about us than other teams. Maybe Flugar is channeling Vonnegut.

3 Likes

Bingo!

If by way of a miracle BIG invites the Coogs into the family, can you even fathom the excitement from the city of Houston? Imagine the Eyebucks and Sparties and Wolvies coming to Houston to play football and basketball. I would say if that were to happen, Coogs need to get the architects lined up to expand the stadium and the Fertitta.

4 Likes

You are so correct because those B1G schools do travel well. It would be a nice boost to the hotel industry and bring in more tax revenues to the city and state.

Of course with the good, there is also bad, meaning game ticket prices will rise.