Expansion...a matter of when

I recall the Maryland/Rutgers acquisitions came as a quick/sudden surprise several years ago … the B1G going after the NYC and Baltimore areas … I suspect the B1G underarm biggies spent a considerable amount of time researching before deciding … with the Maryland choice coming at a cost … for Maryland …

Most here still have the horns and sooners dancing like sugarplums in their heads while neither Flugy nor BTM have such delusions mentioned in these tweets … the only mention AND an interesting one is that these sugarplums are no longer a roadblock to UH getting into a P5

No it seems that the B1G underarm biggies have been researching … again … looking for nuggets of gold in unexplored territories still within striking distances and may have come up with a candidate who made itself viable for consideration

3 Likes

You don’t think Nebraska has any pull in the B10? I disagree

Ohio St and Michigan aren’t the only big players in the B10, Penn St is strong too.

Besides, I am not talking about them, I am saying for OU to make the move out of the B12. OU would have leverage in the deal. I am sure B10 would love them as a pair, but I think OU only makes the move to get out of the B12 and away from UT. Otherwise, the move may make the B10 money but wouldn’t change OUs position much except making the CFP exponentially more difficult.

Edit: OU & Kansas would make a nice pair for the B10

Dude, this is nothing more than offseason blather. None of the P5 conferences are seriously considering expansion.

2 Likes

Well Dudette … GO BACK TO YOUR BEAUTY REST AND SLEEP …

while the rest of us await what BTM will reveal tomorrow … NOTE: correction May 25th not Apr 25th

Offseason blather keeps the offseason “hopping” ESPECIALLY when it is coming from INSIDE the B1G …

5 Likes

Me too…out of left field and moved very quick. The BIG make Big moves fast when they decide to do do, not like the Big 12…

1 Like

History tells us that uta wants to have complete control of the P5 that they play in. That alone does not play in their favor. We on the contrary seat on arguably the best recruiting area. In order to keep control of us we all know what uta has done since 1996. Some prefer the small12. Let’s think about what will happen if we do get an invite from the small12. Can anyone on this board think for a second that if we do get an invite uta and ou will not take off? What is in their best interest? Have premier access to the greater Houston area. When uta and ou leave the small12 will become a G5 period. You can bet on that. That is again in uta and ou’s best interest.
So it is pretty obvious. Let’s say we do get an invite from the PAC12, BIG10, ACC or SEC. We better accept it right away even with a major buy in. You can also be sure that uta and the small12 will counter with their own offer. That is when we decline it. Some on this board might not agree but I can’t see us sharing the same table with uta. The so called “super league” is already on our door steps. Our future depends that we position ourselves as far away from uta as possible. History repeats itself. Do not ignore it. We shared the same table and look where it led us?

6 Likes

If I remember the tweet correctly, I believe he mentioned having lunch with BTM on MAY 25th, not tomorrow.

2 Likes

Yep, May not April

1 Like

I stand corrected … May 25th … it will give Gadfly more sleeping rest …

And our sugarplum ferries here more scenarios about how the B1G is attempting to lure the horns and sooners into their P5 … $$$-wise/UH as bait-wise … I can’t wait … Zzzzzz

Oh yeah the month wait is NOT A BAD SIGN … but makes whatever is happening inside the B1G conf offices MORE LEGIT … adding/researching a new member is NOT an overnight seat of the pants choice … ALL the current members will need to be informed of the pluses and negatives and their feedback important to the final decision …

AND if this should come to pass I would VERY CURIOUS as to which member(s) initiated looking at UH as a potential member … my guess is that whoever it was is WAY UP the food chain with A LOT OF INFLUENCE …

1 Like

If UT and OU sign the B12 GOR for 10-12 years, a B12 invite may be something to think about since those schools will have to stay in the B12 for that duration. But again, if the B1G invites us, that’s a done deal no matter what the B12 does.

1 Like

While I have little faith in the twitterverse rumor mill, I think we all owe Flugar a thank you for giving us solid off season fodder. This should be good for at least a week. And if it’s really juicy sounding stuff May 25th, maybe a solid month after that.

For that Flug, we thank you.

7 Likes

It doesn’t matter who has how much pull. Expansion will be dictated by 1 factor, revenue maximization (for both the media and the conference). If media partners insist that UT be added, it doesn’t matter how much Nebraska may oppose it, it will happen.

Adding UT and OU will achieve the highest bump in revenue (unless the Big 10 can land ND, in which case UT/ND will be huge!).

If OU can break free of OSU, and the Big 10 adds OU, they will need a Texas travel partner, UT makes the most sense, followed by UH. OU/UH may result in a revenue bump for the Big 10, but it won’t be anywhere near the bump UT/OU will bring them.

And btw I do believe Nebraska has no pull in the Big 10. Just look at their conference scheduling. They have even complained about it.

B10 is not getting OU without OU agreeing to it, and if OU says we are not going to the B10 with UT, I am sure the B10 will accommodate them by taking Kansas or another school.

Media partners don’t have all the leverage, they had to strike a last minute deal last expansion talk to keep themselves from being on the hook for the B12 pro-rata.

1 Like

Feels like there are two options and UT can’t be in both conferences to block us. If Big 12 collapses, maybe we work with a group of Texas schools to the PAC. If UT going to another conference, then likely Big10 for money or ACC to keep LHN and be like ND. Maybe these two conferences would pick us up depending on where UT lands.

1 Like

There is zero chance that uta accepts us as a “traveling partner” to any conference. We are their worst nightmare. We impede them into getting better. They want to control and are controlling our recruiting area. This has always been about recruiting friends. Nothing else matters. They want to squash us once and for all. By blocking our entry AGAIN into a P5 is their biggest objective. They know the consequences that it will bring to our program. This is what’s at stake. We need to be as far away from uta as possible. I have written it before but I have no doubts that we have the potential to become another Alabama. That is how good this recruiting area is. uta, ou and even LSU knows it. You think I am day dreaming? Then why do you think we have been pushed to the curb why the likes of WVU, TCU or even baylor were invited into the small12?

4 Likes

OUs problem is not UT, it’s OSU. Politically they’ll have a real task on their hands breaking free of OSU at least as long as Boone Pickens is alive.

The networks are controlling expansion. No conference is going to risk damaging their relationship with any network. The Big 12 and the networks came to an agreement to get rid of the pro rata clause. Seemed to be a good deal for both. However the most recent deal they signed with ESPN has resulted in their football championship game payment dropping from $30 million to $22 million per game.

Ultimately the networks have all the power (as the AAC and Big 12 have learnt) unless you have competing networks keen to get your content. No conference will make any membership moves if those moves are not supported by their network partners.

OUs problem with the B12 has always been UT

Networks have leverage, but not all the leverage. OU has leverage too. Any future expansion or non-expansion will pivot on OU

2 Likes

Very true Sir, And I believe the Horns and Aggies know that…the FEAR is REAL. Look at what we have done on limited resources…now imagine full.

3 Likes

Yes our recruiting area is great but so is DFW. Why hasn’t TCU become a dominant player in the B12?

I think we would be really good as a P5 but I think UT and TAM will get their guys from Houston like OU and UT are getting their guys from DFW even with TCU right there.

Oh and did I mention that LSU is just 4 hours away.

1 Like

I concur … Nebraska as a member has a DEFINITE yea or nay as to who comes into the B1G …

I recall several years ago on one of our boards that the huskers were complaining about losing their Texas connection in recruiting.

IT IS NO SECRET they dislike the horns with a passion … HOWEVER … they want back into the Texas area for recruiting … :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: … UH presents no threat to them … so here is their entrance BACK INTO THE STATE …

One other interesting tidbit … UH will give the B1G a claim to 3 of the 4 largest cities in America … NYC (Rutgers) … Chicago (Northwestern) and Houston (UH)

7 Likes