Expansion...a matter of when

Funny how most people accept the fact that the B10 took in schools like Maryland and Rutgers pretty much for their media/market footprint, yet have a hard time fathoming a Power conference taking UH for pretty much the same reason. No conference controls the Houston market, not the B12, SEC, B10 etc. Imagine having a foothold smack dab in the middle of one of the most important media and talent markets. Hmmm

7 Likes

Great post and we all know who is blocking that entry. The worms have been quiet since the small12 so called expansion talks. They are waiting to find out who is going to invite us and then act on it. One thing that needs to be brought up. The amount of money that disney gave to uta for their worms tv contract. It did not make sense at that time and surely does not now. Why would the mice do that? Business wise this was a money losing venture from the get go. Any tv/media analyst would have predicted it. I believe in Karma friends.

2 Likes

There is truth to what he said. Wasn’t David told to tend the sheep because his brothers thought he was too young to be in a man’s battle, especially involving a giant??!

You’re comparing a college sports program that can’t fill its own 40k seat stadium to King David. Not exactly a perfect analogy.

1 Like

Feel me out here -

After Bugs Bunny saws Florida off the US, Alabama will have a LOT more coastline. Alabamans decide to stop caring about football and decide to pick up beach volleyball. Other P5 programs follow Bama because they all do this already, which leaves only the G5 conferences playing football. UH and UCF get all the football player talent and suddenly UCF is the new Georgia and we’re the new Bama.

Yes Sir, I made the analogy comparison
BTW, you sound like a proud Texas Ex or a Aggie at heart. Are you a Coog???

Bauer class of ‘15

The B1G cannot compete with conferences in the south because of great
recruiting areas in the south. B1G schools have won 4 national
championships in football since 1969. Delany spoke of this several
years ago.

The state of Texas would add not only huge numbers of viewers, it would
add the best recruiting areas in the country.

The best solution would be to add UT and OU. If there is any problem
with UT, the B1G can get the state by adding a different Texas school.

Is the guy from West Virginia saying anything MHver
or whatever his name is?

All I remember is that they both were guessing about the Big12 fiasco.

1 Like

Then why have the huskers not only not scheduled us, but actually walked away from scheduling us before the contract was even signed?

Nebraska can recruit here no problem. It just takes a good coach.

Grad school?

Undergrad

I give up 
 why haven’t they scheduled UH 
 or Baylor 
 or TT 
 or Rice 
 or N.Tex 
 or SMU 
 uhhh maybe they have who knows

Plenty of schools to choose from BESIDES the hated horns and getting to come to the state 
 I am NOT on their staff nor do I read their boards 
 I am just reporting what I observed several years ago from OTHER coogs more familar with the huskers and their complaints 
 it could be that the huskers fans may have been in the doldrums 
 the B1G didn’t exactly welcome them with open arms 
 why 

Having been to a bucket-list game between the buckeyes and badgers at Madison a few years ago I do recall noting at the sports bars that both schools weren’t happy with the huskers in their conf 
 not certain why since neither my brother nor I asked them 
 we were just listening to them 
 do remember recruiting was another important topic between them 
 and band travel 

1 Like

My contention isn’t that Nebraska is loved in the big 10. Teams in the sec hate each other and that hasn’t harmed them.

My contention is that Nebraska doesn’t care about playing games in Houston for recruiting purposes. If they get the right coach then they can recruit this area without playing within a thousand miles.

Arkansas has a couple of good years recruiting because of their coach. Until he wrecked his motorcycle with his mistress.

Playing Houston for recruiting is not a selling tool for our inclusion.

1 Like

It’s not just recruiting, its eyeballs. Same reason they took on Rutgers and Maryland.

1 Like

Hear, hear! Eyeballs. Attendance. Season tickets. Not complicated. Still the same old same old. However, many remain experts of rationalization, excuses.

Hope we make it in my lifetime.

2 Likes

The reason Rutgers and Maryland were taken was for access to nyc and dc cable subscribers. However cable companies have pushed back and that model won’t work anymore.

Btn is an added tier on Comcast. Would adding it make it part of basic cable?

Big 10 fans already get it so their eyeballs are already counted locally.

How many Houston fans would pay for btn if it isn’t part of basic cable? I would. Would 100k houstonians? 500k?

Big 10 would be the holy grail but how can we make ourselves attractive ? Not touting recruiting for big 10 schools. Purely by how rabid a fan base we have that would pay for btn.

1 Like

Why would Notre Dame leave its ACC arrangement to join BI0?

TCU has been a big player in the BigXII while UT was down, but make no mistake about it OU gets the DFW recruits. UT has been going out of state recently. ATM has been getting whoever they want in Texas.

I was raised in SEC country in Baton Rouge and started college at LSU for whom I was a fan from the time I was born until I enrolled at UH. When I was young, Ole Miss was our biggest rival and we would yell, “Go to hell Ole Miss, go to hell.” That was started in 1958 when a plane dropped 10’s of thousands of leaflets over LSU and the surrounding area that read, “Go to hell LSU, Johnny Reb”.
I doubt if anygame of the era was any more of a grudge game that those two. But you know what, after the game, fans from both schools would party together at local watering holes and exchange good natured jabs.

I don’t know how things are today, but the “hate” was more like a brotherly rivalry then. We would pull for Ole Miss or any SEC school against OOC teams. But conference games were all out war – but only on the field.

1 Like