EXPANSION

AS I WATCHED THE UH-MEM GAME YESTERDAY, THEY
HAVE 18,000 ARENA( AND IT WAS FULL). THEY KICK OUR
A%% IN FOOTBALL AND NOW BASK. STINKIN MEMPHIS
AND OUTDRAW US IN BOTH. THEY ARE PROBABLY 25%
the size of Houston. I’VE BEEN THERE, NOT IMPRESSED
AND WE THINK WE SHOULD GET AND INVITE TO BIG
CONF. THE PAC IS SO FAR AWAY AND THEY ARE VERY
DIFF. THAN UH. ECO AND POLITICAL THE LEFT COAST.
AND WHO WOULD JOIN WITH US ???. I KNOW IT IS NOT
POP, BUT THE BIG 12 IS BEST FOR UH. BUT TOO MANY
TX TEAMS . NOT POP WITH OK, KAN. TEAMS ON BIG
TIME RECRUITS IN TX IF UH JOINS. UT & OK LEAVE
MAYBE I WOULD LOVE OUR YOUNGER ALUMS TO
SEE WHAT IT WAS LIKE IN THE SWC.EASY DRIVE TO
GAMES . LOTS OF SWC ALUMS IN HOU AREA THAT
WE GOT TO TALK WITH. GREAT CONF WOULD BE
LSU, ARK OK, OKS, NEB, A&M, UT, TT,COLO, UH
KAN, IT WAS SO MUCH FUN BACK IN THE SWC DAYS.
GREAT MEMORIES FOR THIS OLD COOG & MOST
LIKELY WILL NOT SEE ANOTHER BIG CONF FOR MY
BELOVED COOGS.

6 Likes

I have resigned myself to never expecting a P5 invite. I have been following and loving our Coogs for many years and have always maintained that lack of support will eventually be the nail in the coffin.
That said I will continue to go to games and love our great University.

8 Likes

If it never happen in our lifetimes, at least we enjoyed some of the greatest games with each other. That can never be taken away!

3 Likes

I like the AAC. I really do. Its a quality conference with like minded schools.

5 Likes

All we can hope for is to become an actual P6. If we continue the way we are and be rated above the ACC and PAC, then it may happen.

4 Likes

Just want some hope of competing for a national championship, right now we have NO shot

2 Likes

Unless there is another nonsensical expansion like when TCU and WVU were invited to the Big12, I’m not optimistic

2 Likes

My position is a bit different, but closer to the notion of Power 6. I don’t care if UH never gets invited to join a power 5 conference. I will gladly foregoing the joy and sense of accomplishment which comes with playing against the likes of Arizona State, Iowa State, Oregon State, and Kansas State every year. But, what I want for UH is $$$$$$$$$$$$, being the same amount of media revenue that those “name brand” schools receive annually.

Let’s face it, none of those schools is likely to every win a national championship unless they hire Sabin as their coach. Nor are any of them our “natural rivals”. - How many of you can even tell me (without the aid of google) in what cities those schools are located?

What Memphis has done better than UH is consistently hire good coaches. Yes, they get poached regularly, but they never made continuation hire since they promoted Tommy West in 2000. Memphis also does not have to compete locally with major league baseball or the NFL. They can provide a winning, less costly alternative to the NBA Grizzles, who have never won anything. They also have backing from Fedex. Memphis has a good thing going - But, they too are not our natural rival.

3 Likes

Ever hopeful (but like Butch, highly doubtful), I’ve come to believe that only a TV network can come to our rescue. ESPN kept us out of the B12 and will continue to have sway over those type of decisions so long as they are in control of college football. Perhaps someone else will try and compete, but ESPN sets the $$-formula. I can’t see anything realistically changing to alter their profit-model. Fewer is better for them. But, ever hopeful. Sure doesn’t look like my lifetime. Go Coogs!

2 Likes

If the team was consistently good more people would show up. Say what you want about Turdman but he packed the stadium and won the games. That place was full for UL and the stadium had a ton of energy. Opie tossed water on the fire and Dana hasn’t done much to reinvigorate interest in the program since. Having the 80th ranked recruiting class isn’t helping…

2 Likes

Not until this season. They just promoted internally when Norvell left.

Yes. That is true. - They also now have a head coach you never played college football. However, he has been an assistant in the NFL.

I’m with you 51. I like the AAC and I like the west division. I would like to get one more football school to be able to keep two divisions. But this conference obviously gives us ample competition since we’ve only won it once.

1 Like

Tempe, Ames, Corvallis, Manhattan. Sorry, point taken.

First, they are all charter members of their respective conferences. Second, its not so much about location as it is about a loyal fan following. Most college football fans in the city of Houston aren’t Coog fans I’m sad to say.

2 Likes

Hard to be excited about playing Tulsa or Tulane

3 Likes

Truthfully, if UH alumni & fans can’t get excited to watch UH play Tulsa or Tulane, then they don’t really deserve to see UH play anyone any better.

4 Likes

You can apply that logic to just about any school in a major metropolitan area except for UCLA, USC, Washington and perhaps a few others. This is to be expected when there are competing interests. This is especially true for UH since it doesn’t have as long a history as many of the charter members in the P5 conferences. People come and go in major cities as opposed to small towns where generations and loyalties run deep. When UH wins, the city supports us.

TCU, SMU, Miami, Northwestern and others aren’t the main attractions in their respective cities either. Syracuse is the only major D1 school in the entire state of NY and they have trouble filling the lower bowl of the Carrier Dome.

There is room for improvement with UH support, however this is not solely a UH and G5 issue.

3 Likes

Careful CatScratch…the whiners do not want to hear anything positive, even though your post is correct in all it says…

3 Likes

Truthfully this makes absolutely zero sense. The truth is, it has nothing to do with the fans. Until UH can regularly beat Tulane and Tulsa, we don’t deserve to play anyone bettter.

3 Likes