Fabian White, knee injury

Gorham was pretty bad, I am hopeful he makes large strides from year 1 in the program to year 2

the answer is “it depends”

we have 1 more ship to fill

if we got a guy like justin smith (unlikely) - smith would get most of the minutes
in most realistic scenarios gorham most of the minutes (bring no one in - or bring in a not so touted big)

as far as roberts expect a great rebounder-- but not to expect much on offense

id prefer to land a guy like smith but i think gorham gets a ton of slack for what the coaches did
alot of people note gorham didnt do much last year
in atleast 5 interview Sampson has publicly noted he put gorham on short leash on what he could do
that he was “trying to do to much” in the early games 
gorham wasnt just shooting only open 3s by choice
the leash likely getting extended next year

1 Like

To answer the question, YES. The story is in how that develops.

good write up

makes sense about Sampson and Gorham, you could tell he wasn’t operating at 100%

still optimistic. we’ve got a SUPER young team. picking up a transfer would be ideal I think.

Still surprised this is getting as much coverage as we’re getting.

We are now a perennial top 25 team

And we have another advantage - Coach Sampson!

1 Like

Issue with Roberts is that we can’t play more than 1 guy at a time who can’t space the floor. So if Roberts can’t, that means he can’t play with Gresham and if that’s the case hopefully Powell can space the floor and hit those Fabian/Devin Davis jumpers while Roberts crashes.

I don’t think this point about Gorham totally makes sense. I definitely think it’s true that some guys can play a lot better if they have more freedom and also know they don’t have to look over their shoulder for minutes. Hopefully that helps Gorham play better next year. But if Gorham was playing poorly when trying to do too much and Sampson shortened his leash because that was what gave the team the best chance to win that’s still more on Gorham than the staff. Like if he was balling out when he was “trying to do too much” he wouldn’t have had his leash shortened.

Heard today Fabian’s surgery went well, no surprises & was already PTing today.

7 Likes

The one bright spot in this injury is that it was this early in the year. It usually takes from 9-12 months for full recovery, so Faian should be able to participate in spring weight training and be 100% by this time next year. That will aloow him to go full speed all summer and fall before the season starts.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/joseph_duarte/status/1331291744437227522?s=21

1 Like

I was thinking about this over the weekend.

Haven’t seen a picture of him with a brace on yet.

Not surprised by this news. This could be great! Although I was hoping he’d take the year and develop a consistent 3 ball.

But I guess, this is a free year for him anyway.

Happy he healed so quickly.

2 Likes

If he can come back in shape without hurting himself, that’s very promising to hear for a potential tourney run.

4 Likes

I felt it was a chance before the free season now I think it happens Just needs enough time to get in shape to play

1 Like

Yes, it really is positive. Especially if he has developed a 3 ball. Even if he hasn’t added the 3, his presence alone I think will be huge considering his experience/maturity. The depth part is huge too.

Take your time and be healthy young man.

2 Likes

I think coach will not be in a hurry to get him on the court. Even if the Drs. say he can go, he would have to get conditioned. I would sort of treat his being cleared to play as kind of a red-shirt sort of thing. Get him in shape and start working him in practices with no intention of actually playing him unless there is no other choice.

4 Likes

Makes sense with it being a free year not to 100% rule it out. With it being a free year the end of the season is kind of right along the recovery timeline so if the stars aligned it seems possible but very unlikely. If it wasn’t a free year CKS probably would have said there’s no chance. There would be no reason to burn his last year of eligibility with a late season comeback with him likely not in great shape.

If he is cleared for full contact he will certainly practice with the intent on playing.
I do think you are right that coach will make sure he is ready to handle the full practice and game load before using him

I’m very hopeful that Fabian doesn’t rush his return and risk further injury.

After watching today’s game, I think we have solid depth in the paint. Gorham still looks somewhat tentative to me still, but I was very impressed with Roberts and Cheney. Gresham is the same–he even made a nice mid-range shot, which has been Fabian’s shot. Even Powell got some time and contributed some today.

Unless there are injuries, I don’t think depth’s going to be an issue. JMHO.

I can see him playing late in the season in time to get in game shape for the playoffs. But, that’s just one scenario we can speculate on.

1 Like