Feritta Center Town Hall Update

I attended the event tonight. TJ, Hunter and Brendon spoke. There were about 30 people in the crowd.

Sales Update

Hunter said we had sold 66 of 76 floor seats. We believe that once those sell out, a domino effect will start to take place and that the loge seats are next to sell out (we have 30 loge seats left). Then the club.

Fundraising Update

Hunter said the arena will cost $60M, and that we need to raise $40M as they have other funds for the rest. Of course, Tilman gave $20M. So we are looking to raise the remaining $20M with various naming rights and seat donation requirements. He did not give a figure on how close we are from that goal. Quick math, 66 floor seats is $3.3M.

Construction Update

Hunter said there have been no surprises or bumps in the road. The ceiling abatement is almost done, and the project is on time.

Cougar Pride Donation Update

Hunter confirmed that, for the people making arena pledges to get premium seats, the Cougar Pride donation required for each ticket will be waived for five years. Even if you pay off your arena pledge up front.

Seats in the end zones that do not require an arena pledge will have a small CP donation required for each seat from Year 1.

Also - if you give more (unrestricted) to Cougar Pride each year than your football seats require, then you can use that extra amount as credit against whatever Cougar Pride donation is required of your seats at the Fertitta Center.

Seat Section News

They have amended the prices for the priority chairback seats opposite side from the club. Before, every seat in sections 113 through 117 required a $2500 donation. Now:

Sections 114-116, Rows 1-10 = $2500 arena donation per seat
Sections 114-116, Rows 11+ = $1000 arena donation per seat
Sections 113, 117, All Rows = $500 arena donation per seat

Of course, you have 5 years to pay off these pledges. So much more affordable.

Capacity Update

Hunter said the arena will hold 7,200 fans. There will be 5,500-5,800 seats for sale and the rest will be saved for students.

Speaking of students, priority chairbacks opposite the club are right above the student section on the court. Apparently, the first row of the priority chairbacks will be elevated such that a person sitting in that row can see the court even if a 6 foot 6 student was standing just below them.

2017 Basketball News

Looks like we will be playing all of our games at TSU. The Toyota Center put the squeeze on us. And Coach Sampson wants the kids to get into a routine.

7 Likes

Nice, thanks.

Think I’m ok with games being at TSU. Will be a better environment and should be easier on the pocketbook.

2 Likes

Has anyone explained why the new arena will seat so few? 7200 is awfully small for a division 1 college basketball arena. Especially schools playing at our level.

Great news on TSU. Sampson is right to want the kids to have a routine - we saw the effect on the 2013 football team from having to play in multiple venues.

Based on UH’s attendance history, 7200 will be more than enough seats.

College basketball arenas in large metro areas with NBA competition tend to be smaller.

Boston College 8600
Georgia Tech 8600
Miami 7900
SMU 7000
TCU 6700
Northwestern 8100
Rutgers 8000
Stanford 7300

7 Likes

Good info Parker!!!

If you look at even the Phi Slama Jama days, even in ranked years, most games were 5k to 6k attendance unless we were playing UT, Tech, Arkansas or a ranked opponent. Id rather us turn away people for 3 or 4 home games a year and be packed all the other games than add 3k more seats that will be empty 90% of the time. The atmosphere of a packed arena keeps people coming back and it definitely helps win more home games.

4 Likes

The team likes a packed house as well.

I enjoyed the TSU arena, looking forward to upcoming season.

Link to online Q&A from today:

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/cougar-pride/livechat.html

We are working on a mini-game plan for this season but they have not been finalized yet. More information will come on this in September!

7200 is a great number. Have a good top 25 team and the fans will pack it game after game. Can’t wait until the Fertitta Center gets completed.

2 Likes

Let’s see. We broker a deal with the Lakewood Church. We re-arrange our schedule to fit theirs.Reserve the best seats for our season ticket holders. Sell the rest at cost. Build a new fan base. Get a season sponsor.
I know I am dreaming but the Summit was a great " acoustic" place. I saw the Rockets, The Police, U2 and many other bands. The sound was outstanding. New arenas like the Stapples Center or Toyota Center can’t match the atmosphere.

Would Lakewood church even be able to be converted back to a basketball arena? I’m serious as I haven’t been in since they converted it.

The Summit was a nice arena, a lot roomier in the seats than the Toyota Center.

I have not been back since the mid 90’s but this could have been a potential solution. When there is a will there is a way. Could you imagine Hakeem/Akeem The Dream Olajuwon welcoming us to the Summit? A bunch of tickets given or sold at a $/a Gallery Furniture sponsorship could have gone a long way. Again I am just dreaming.

Has Lakewood moved out?

I go to quitr a few SMU games and 7200 will be great.

C’mon folks, Lakewood Church bought the former “Summit” property and converted it into a church facility. They aren’t going anywhere.

I mentioned it as a “could have been a temporary fix” only. I added “I know I am dreaming” " I am just dreaming" Please read the posts.

I think people are asking how it would be a temporary fix? I doubt when they rebuilt the inside of that place, they had any notions of it having a quick change back to a basketball arena for Saturday evenings and then back again for sermons on Sunday morning. Apparently your dreams are made up of other people’s nightmares.