First Coog football game

Yeah, them were dark days.

1 Like

09/27/86 vs. Tulsa Astrodome L, 24-14

1 Like

October 13, 1956 … 14 - 14 tie with the # 9 Bear Bryant aggies at Rice stadium … moi ah 13 yr old yewt … first coog game AND college football game …

the aggies BTW wore those same unis this past weekend against the gamecocks in Colombia.

1 Like

The 1965 Tulsa game that Houston lost 14-0.We had lots of problems on offense and Coach Yeoman decided to implement the veer a couple weeks later.

I watched the first few minutes of the A&M v. South Carolina game thinking A&M was South Carolina. Those uniforms were confusing!

'72 vs. ranked Arizona State

1990 vs UNLV David Klingler’s first start as well as Jugular John’s first game as head coach.

have u heard about the UNIV forget the Team. Might want to study more.!

made up for it in '68 or 69. Hou 100 Tulsa 6 I think. That would have been Elmo Wright, Paul Gibson team

Yes, but the Astrodome field was in “great” shape !!

That was my first also, buddy and I took our dates to Jamie’s Hamburgers before the game. No tailgating back them.

Went to see grambling band at the Rob at the urging of an Eng. lecturer (extra credit I think) happened upon Anthony Aldridge running wild…
Bait hook and sinker all I can say…

1 Like

My family started their season tickets in the Astrodome. I was a 17 yr. old boy so, girls interfered with me being a regular on Saturday nights. I am from Galena Park. Bill Yeoman gave scholarships to Jerry Gardner (Gerald) and Smitty Cloud (Bill) from our 1965 state team. In 1967 my father had a heart attack at the Oklahoma State game. One of Dr. DeBakey’s nurses had season tickets right behind us. She did all she could do. They took him to a triage room in the dome but he passed. The Astrodome told us he was the first spectator to die in an Astrodome event (never verified ?). My third brother retired from the Navy (Commander Larry C Wiggins) joined in on season tickets. My brothers continued to attend football and basketball games. One brother Sonny (ETCOOG) move to Dallas, the other moved to Austin. The three continued with season tickets. ETCOOG died before the last season at Roberson. I gave a Frontiersman some ashes and he graciously deposited them on the 50 yd. line last game of the season. I don’t know if the family kept continuous run of season tickets while I was in the service or when I lived in Colorado. I kept the season tickets going after my brothers passed. We are in good hands as my nephew and great nephew are now buying tickets with me. Go COOGS

1 Like

RIP ETCOOG.

1 Like

That game included one if the worst calls in NCAA history. UH was more than holding its own with UCLA, who had one of the best receivers in college football. Sorry, don’t have time to look up his name. On one play, this guy broke for the end zone down the sideline but was well covered by our DB. As the ball came down the receiver blatantly used both hands and pushed the DB off. The ref was running with them and was in full view if the whole event. No flag was thrown and the receiver caught the pass and ran untouched into the end zone. TD! Turned around a tight game.

The crowd went nuts booing. Helton ran half way across the field screaming at the refs. They would have totally lost control of the game and the crowd if they had flagged him so they kept the laundry in their pockets but refused to review the call. Game over. UCLA went on to win.

There is was none finer than ETCOOG. He laid the foundation along with many others that we are enjoying this day.

My son played half a dozen high school games in the Dome in play offs. To this day you bring up the Dome’s playing field and his face turns red and he has to work to calm himself down. This was in 2000 and 2001 and the field was absolutely deplorable. They were retiring the Dome and provided zero maintenance to badly needed repairs to the field. There were spots where runners actually bounced when they ran and other places that we so dead if you hit one running you would feel like you stepped in a hole.

2008 Armed Forces Bowl against Air Force. At the time I knew I was transferring from UTA, but didn’t know where exactly. UH was one on my list, perhaps the game helped my selection.

My dad took me when I was 14 to the Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl in the Dome, when we clobbered Auburn 36-7 on New Years Eve, 1968. We finished ranked #12 that year with a 9-2 record.

My first Coog game as a freshman at UH was our home-opener loss to Miami during the 1974 season.

Art Briles Head Coaching debut against Rice. I remember a lot of people and a blow out win for the COOGS!