Flugaur's "B1G Man" meeting

2 Likes

IMO, The Dude of WV is the only reliable one – the others, including MHVER are trolling for clicks.

The Dude (Chris Lambert) attended UH and has good memories of us and the Astros.

Fans are always hungry for info so I expect more of this kind of unverifiable speculation coming from from Flugaur, MHVER, etc. during the summer “dead period.”

Flugaur’s “B1G man” has been pretty spot on including calling that the B12 wouldn’t expand well beforehand, and the reasons why; also has called certain B1G hockey additions. Flugaur himself is annoying and a bit of an idiot, but it seems that his source does have some info; probably why he leaks to Flugaur as almost any of it can be discredited due to Flugaur’s penchant for embellishing.

In regards to OU and OSU to the SEC, they explained it as a way for the SEC to get OU while keeping the B1G off the Texas border. The SEC knows that political pressure in Oklahoma will be what keeps OU tied to OSU and they know that OSU will never get an invite to the B1G. Offering both means that half the legislature in Oklahoma will fight to keep OU tied to OSU which means that they probably go to the SEC. It’s not as if they don’t have 2 schools in low-populated states already (Mississippi, Alabama). In their mind, OU is a huge prize and OSU is the cost.

As far as UT and Olympic sports, they’d basically be housing their Olympic sports in the best conference for Olympic sports. If you’re talking about travel costs, I’d imagine that’s where trying to get as many Texas schools in the conference comes into play. If Texas can add 4 schools, that would defray costs a bit, especially when it can be shared among the schools. Pac 12 already institutes a pod system that allows teams to, for example, fly to L.A. and play USC/UCLA in the same week or fly to Oregon and play Oregon/Oregon State in the same week with many schools sharing flights to get there. Plus, with many of the Pac 12 schools being near major metropolitan areas, it would actually be easier to travel than many locations currently in the Big 12.

What would be interesting in the Pac 12 scenario is how the divisions would break up. Would the Texas schools go with the Arizona duo/Colorado/Utah or would they instead do a North/South divide of USC/UCLA/AZ duo/TX schools. Doubtful that Colorado would be happy with the former, and the latter would ensure that you get USC/UT every year and that cross-division opponents would get to play in Texas or LA every year.

The other issue would be what happens to the Big 12 if, say, they lose KU, OU, OSU, UT, TT, and TCU. I imagine it survives in order to keep the auto-bids and credits, but who gets added? Do they go national like the original Big East was supposed to be or do they just trim the top of the AAC and move forward.

The Dude might be the most unreliable. He has zero sources and takes every angle of every position so when something breaks, he doesn’t boast of the 2-5 ways he was wrong, he makes sure you know one of his angles was correct. I’ve found his logic to be really messed up at times as well.

I agree with KFD.

Let’s say four or five or even three Teams leave the small12…including uta. Do we all really think that their current tv contract will still be valid? They ought to be stipulations. My feeling is that if uta leaves with OU the samll12 is no longer a P5 and that their espn tv contracts is no longer valid. Contracts have stipulations. All of our discussions about replacing uta and OU and getting into the small12 will be a mute point if that happens. Just imo.

The scenario above would happen when the TV contract is up so there would be a renegotiation at that point. A lot would depend on if they maintained P5 status after the defections.