Football doing a HORRIBLE job of keeping fans engaged

We are not out in the middle of nowhere with nothing else to really do lol…its just the general nature of our fanbase. If were not winning at high level attendance will suffer. If we were in a p5 conference it would be different.

2 Likes

I’ve heard from a few season ticket holders that I know that have stated that they aren’t planning to renew, or won’t renew as many tickets. When I asked why, they mentioned that there is no excitement for the program right now and they don’t believe that Applewhite is a good coach. They said they may pick and choose when to buy tickets because they don’t want to be sitting out there for an 11 AM game again. I am still trying to convince them to re-up, but I’m not sure they will.

Diehards are still in, but there may not be many others unless we go on a win streak this year.

Ideally this is briles’ interview for the head coaching job and one year less of applewhites buyout

2 Likes

What are the two programs you compared us to budget?

1 Like

3 Likes

a podium doest cost that much, especially since we already have one. most of the ohio state media doesnt even come from ohio state…they release all their media through a 3rd party “eleven warriors”

releasing media isnt expensive…especially considering we released more media when we had drastically less money and no Tillman

i went to a practice recently. came away surprised by the lack of intensity - just going through the motions. you play like you practice. there’s an obvious change from the intensity of practices under herman. this squad is taking on the personality of the hc. he better win or it’s on him.

1 Like

So are all practices closed to the media? What are Berman and Duarte doing? I think it’s sad that huge P5 programs like UGA have multiple reports coming out per day while little ol UH doesn’t. I think on the other sites they have practice reports but you have to pay for them? You would think it would be the opposite. The huge programs you’d have to pay for while G5 programs like us would put out tons of stuff for free?

1 Like

Berman has been busy with the Rockets and Astros. I know he puts out something about the Cougars when he gets something from the AD, but he’s stretched thin.

JD…it seems his bosses mainly want him to write feature articles (he wrote the one about Ed Oliver’s hesiman campaign this week), but he seems to be taking time off for now. Really wish the Chronicle would hire an actual beat writer to go along with JD, but that would require them to actually acknowledge that we need more coverage…and I doubt the UT grads that are the editors and most of the staff would do that.

As far as the other sites…they’re hustlers and they got to get that dough. I wouldn’t believe too much coming from them.

Even the Daily Cougar doesn’t send someone out there all the time. You’d think they’d at least try.

But, then again, Herman made them care and gave them a reason to show-up. That isn’t happening now.

7 Likes

Very sad. If I lived in town I’d try to get weekly updates…but w/ the way Applewhite acts I doubt I’d get any access. Most of the big time programs they get to see the first 10 minutes of practice. Herman denied me multiple interview requests because Coogfans was a “500 member message board,” according to Bassity. Guess we weren’t big time enough for them. I doubt anything’s changed with his underling.

2 Likes

No one is putting out a ton of info. It’s an access issue, IMO. Sellers does the best he can with it. He does have practice reports for most practices.

1 Like

The hype is gone…period…there is no H-town take over, there is no promise of going to the Big 12…I am sure Applewhite knows his job is on the line so as far as I am concerned it’s on him to get the job done along with the assistant coaches and of course the players.
I love seeing updates on how the offensive players did during practice sessions and even opinions who is the leading candidate to be our starting running back or any other position for that matter.
But that just is not the way it is under Applewhite…it’s his show and he can set the stage the way he wants. But like stated before, he better start winning out of the chute or things will start going down hill fast…see you at the scrimmage Saturday…and frankly I don’t expect to see many fans as usual, nor do I expect to see too much on the field…but anyhow…Go Coogs, can’t wait for the season to start…

3 Likes

Considering the way Herman has treated the media in Austin, I’m not surprised that they said that. As good a showman as he was, he was/is a colossal a-hole and wants to control the message like a little dictator. Austin media still isn’t enamored with him so he’d better start winning.

5 Likes

Those big numbers for some schools but Pesik do have any idea of the largest attendance we have had for a UH spring game? I’d be surprised if we have even gotten close to 10,000.
Nevertheless I do agree with main point, I wish the we putting out more info.

Unless you are a season ticketholder or on one of the sites, you do not know about the Spring game which in this case means most of the alumni and anybody else.

Some alumni with some sway need to email and contact our new athletic director. In the end it all falls on his shoulders. He needs to get the marketing department in gear. If Applewhite is making thing so closed to media then Pezman needs to tell him to be more open. If the marketing department our leftovers from Yurachek then they need to be canned immediately. I thought this new guy they brought in from the Dynamo was supposed to be a marketing guy?

3 Likes

I honestly think that they are focusing on implementing the new offense and that is priority number one. EVERYONE has to learn this offense, all returning and new players. Also this includes all but two of the offensive coaching staff that has to learn this offense.

They can hype the team up all spring, summer, and just prior to the season, but if the results aren’t on display on the field it doesn’t matter.

I would rather have no coverage and be blown away by the product on the field than the other way around.

All of this lack of coverage will be forgotten when we a crushing teams in the fall.

8 Likes

2015 all over again

we win big this season, and we will have all the hype you want for the 2019 season

we had an average season last year, so why expect any hype right now?

4 Likes

We have marketing and media guys on the payroll; what does it cost us to have them put out stuff to the media. As far as I know, emailing a word document to the media doesn’t cost anything.

1 Like

2015 had a ridicuous amount of hype…at this point in the season we had 2 open practices…it was obvious to everyone ward was going to be the starter and most of us were expecting big things (maybe not 13-1 big)

herman had already done the like 50 media gimicks at this point,

• including locking the players out of the locker room, coach carter style…
  • he had hired a full fledged video crew to produce a high budget short film
  • he had given us tons of quoteables like how none of wr deserved scholarships…
  • put out a thousand circle drill videos
  • did like 9000 interviews
  • i just checked there are over 25 spring videos from 2015 (practice reports, and coaches mic’d up)
  • he started the whole htowntakeover movement

how is this offseason anything remotely like 2015???
ps we had an average 2014 seaon

3 Likes