Football notebook: On Houston, Ed Oliver, Arizona’s passing game, and more

Houston has not named a starting quarterback yet — it is expected to be either Kyle Postma or Texas A&M transfer Kyle Allen — but Rodriguez isn’t concerned since both quarterbacks have similar skill sets.

“If one’s more of a run, zone-read guy and one’s a dropback guy, that makes it more difficult because there are more things to prepare for … but I think the defensive plan is going to be the same regardless,” he said.

https://twitter.com/ZackBlatt/status/904736851365289988

"Houston has not named a starting quarterback yet — it is expected to be either Kyle Postma or Texas A&M transfer Kyle Allen — but Rodriguez isn’t concerned since both quarterbacks have similar skill sets.

“If one’s more of a run, zone-read guy and one’s a dropback guy, that makes it more difficult because there are more things to prepare for … but I think the defensive plan is going to be the same regardless,” he said."

1. Kyle Postma isn’t exactly Greg Ward Jr, but he can easily rush for 50+ yards a game and convert long 3rd downs with his legs. I would definitely call him more dual threat than pocket passer.

2. Has D’Eriq King been eliminated from the QB starter competition? I still think he might be the best long-term option.

2 Likes

Looks like King has been eliminated as the starting QB. Staff likely sees him as too valuable in other roles. He does have packages as a QB, but he’ll most likely see more time at RB/WR.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, pray. He’ll be a great change-of-pace option if a more traditional set gets stagnant.

1 Like