For those who think we only throw left and right behind LOS

Are the 2-2 for 16 yards the sweeps? Those should be counted as behind the LOS too. I feel like about 50% of throws should be between 5 and 15 yards. Would be great to see a break down of those throws since throws 0-5 are still relying on yards after the catch in most scenarios. When Case ran the offense (and even Ward on 3rd downs) we always came up with those 7-10 yard throws to move the chains, we rarely see that with our current offense.

You have to factor in the incompletions if you are comparing to the run since those plays happened. Average would be 3.4 yards then. But, like I said in my last post I think the 2-2 for 16 yards were the sweeps, so you could add that to your total which gets it back up to 4 yards per play.

2 Likes

Many of the jet sweeps are also passes
forward flips to Ledey. I don’t mind those because it eliminates the chance for a fumble. But they count as passes.

Crossing patterns would be nice since we can get behind the LBs.

But that isn’t what is happening, is it? So, lay off the extreme examples. Getting stuffed on a behind the LOS pass isn’t any different than getting stuffed on any other type of play. Getting stuffed is a potential drive killer in any circumstance.

Also, what if that 41 yarder was a TD? What if a team throws 30 passes in a game and only completes 5? What if all 5 were TDs? And you win 35 - whatever? Extreme examples serve no purpose.

Just need receivers to break some tackles behind the line of scrimmage and they’ll be off and running. There’s space. Go Coogs!

1 Like

So the difference between 4.1 and 4.5 yds/carry is 14 inches. I don’t really think that’s going to make much of a difference. What will make a difference is getting stuffed less, in other words, consistency.

Tell that to Tulsa

1 Like

Did some more relevant data. Yards per completion per quarter.
1st quarter - 9.4
2nd quarter - 13.4
3rd quarter - 9.6 (13.5 on first drive) (6.6 after first drive)
4th quarter - 1.2

I thought it was defensive adjustments but it’s pretty apparent we changed after getting a 20-0 lead. I’d like to see that pass chart before and after the 20-0 lead. I bet the after looks a lot like the offense everyone has complained about.

4 Likes

Very enlightening.

Don’t look now guys but we are discussing real football with some actual facts. :sunglasses: Don’t let this become a habit.

7 Likes

9 out of 10 times I am sure that is anecdotal :wink:

1 Like

BTW: thanks to @pray10 for finding the chart.

1 Like

these are the kind of posts that existed during the Levine era.

It was obvious to anyone watching that we went into the 4:00 drill after the drive put us up 20-0.
As a friend once said, score and make the clock someone else’s problem.

1 Like

Don’t confuse my intent. I am not saying I am thrilled with the offense: to be generous
 it hasn’t gelled yet. My point is don’t argue with false narratives is all. There is lot’s to critique.

Speaking of which, it seems the goto degrading thing to say now is to throw “Levine” in the mix. Can’t we be a little more original than that?

Think they were running the Guy Lewis 4 corners game ? ? ? ? ?

1 Like

Especially since the Levine era wasn’t as bad as people make it out to be. He had a winning record and only one losing season. He didn’t meet expectations, but to imply he is horrible is incorrect. They should be using Dimel or Helton if they want to say that.

3 Likes

The problem with Levine was not his record which was ok but not exciting. The problem was the embarrassing signature loses such as the first game at TDECU and his complete lack of any signature wins.

2 Likes

Spot on

3 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think in three years when he had his own staff (which doesn’t include the penn state game with sumlins staff), he only beat one team with a winning record which was Memphis. Add to that the embarrassing losses and I would say he was pretty bad.