Free Admission to Angelo State Exhibition Sunday (W 97-80)

Starting to play sloppy.

Very sloppy

If it weren’t for the refs it looks like 5 on 5 at the Y.

1 Like

Really like Fabian. Kid’s going to be special in a year or two.

Brooks now 4-5 from 3

74-51 with 11:55 left

Having close to 10 different scoring options is blowing my mind.

1 Like

82-58 Coogs with 7:49 left.

Agreed. Anyone in the first 11 can score and looks competent. Not sure we’ve had more than 4-5 the last two years.

Harris getting an extended run this half. Doing well with it.

93-66 Coogs with 3:43 left

Alley and Adewumni in.

5 Coogs in double figures: Harris 13, Zanna 13, Brooks 12, Van Beck 10, D.Davis 10

93-71 with 2:45 to go. Sangoyomi in.

Final: 97-80 Coogs

2nd half was less impressive defensively as we gave up 53 points. Still, look very good offensively.

Tech played this team this past week and won 86-69.

This felt more like an exhibition than Baylor, which frankly is not a bad thing at all. CKS obviously subbed very aggressively and gave longer than usual looks to guys who may not see the court as much during meaningful action come the regular season.

I was impressed with Harris and he’s still raw in certain facets of his game, but he has so much ability and stuff you can’t coach it’s crazy. After watching the Baylor scrimmage I was pessimistic he’d get serious court time, but after today I think he can push Zanna/Brady for minutes.

Also, Devin Davis’ offensive skill-set is night and day over last year. At no point last year do I remember him playing like he has guard handles. He also has a mid range game that could make him un-guardable even against tougher competition. That’s not even mentioning his paint presence, which we all knew he had.

Finally, I never thought I’d say this: but Wes Van Beck looks and playing like a true Division 1 caliber shooting guard. There’s a 100% chance he starts the opener and he absolutely deserves it.

2 Likes

Did I read the stats correctly
Brady played 9 minutes and fouled out ?

Yes. Picked up 2 quick fouls in the first 3 minutes. His foul trouble was the reason Chris Harris got 12 minutes.

Odds and Ends from the Box Score:

Zanna and Harris shot 20 of the team’s 28 FTs. Corey Davis was the only guard to shoot any FTs.

Rob Gray played VERY unselfishly. One three point attempt. 8 points on 6 shot attempts to go with 5 assists and 4 rebounds vs only 1 turnover.

The most minutes went to Gray 27, C.Davis 23, Van Beck 19, D.Davis 18, G.Rob 17, White 17, Brooks 17. Sampson used these seven almost interchangeably at their positions. Out of 160 minutes available at the 1-4 spots, these seven gathered 138 of those minutes. The other 40 minutes at the post position look to be a battle between Brady, Zanna and Harris.

Armoni Brooks was the only hot hand from three today, hitting 4 of 5. Wes hit 2 of 5. No one else made a three.

C.Davis and Robinson combined for 10 points and 8 assists vs. 4 turnovers at the point. GRob looks like he’s healthy from his foot surgery.

We won the rebound battle 50 to 26. We got 80% of the rebounds on the defensive end, and 50% of the rebounds on the offensive end. This is very encouraging, as rebounding has been our achilles heel the last couple of years.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/CoreyTheGreat_/status/927325458026377216