Future Big XII Conference Division Splits

I keep seeing folks post it, but I just don’t see/get it. How is UT/TTech a thing? How are they “tied” together. Tech is no soup d’jour on top of all things

1 Like

If BYU is in it makes more sense geography wise for BYU and UH to switch places. Not as sexy being in the other division but UH would be P5 and that’s all that matters. In fact, it might make it better for UH in the long run. We are already seen as better than all the other Texas schools without having to place them. The only dig is we aren’t P5. In this scenario UH would have the best of both worlds; being seen as their peers, being seen as better and not having to play them except occasionally. UH is better than Memphis, KU, KSU, ISU, WV and UC right now. Beat all them and you’re in the B12 champ game. Fan base growth would be through the roof with less of a chance of backsliding than if UH was in the other group and had some tough years.

I assume it is because Tech will do whatever Texas tells them to do.

That is the scenario i have read, from several different sources…that scenario works with 14, as well, with BYU going with Texas, and UCONN/CSU/Memphis/UCF going with the Houston group.

Got it. Thanks.

You have to go back to 2010 to understand the whole story. In sum, UT and Tech have extended numerous educational ties and UT has agreed to be Tech’s AAU sponsor, when Tech generally satisfies AAU requirements for membership (which is some years aim the future). Also, for better and (especially during the second go-round) worse, UT and Tech have been (mostly) allied during the Texoma flirtations with the PAC. UT can’t be independent and provide enough content for the LHN and UT doesn’t want to join a new conference without allies. So the Texoma schools are tied at the hip.

Actually, Tech has defied UT (and by that I mean gave DeLoss Dodds the finger) many times. For example, during the first 3 years of the LHN, ESPN twice tried to force Tech to play UT on the LHN and then TXST on the LHN. All three times Tech AD Kirby Hocutt made it clear that Tech would forfeit the game rather than appear on the LHN. (To his credit, Dodds told ESPN to back down all three times.) Anyway, if UH has bucked-up to UT during the past 5 years I’d like to hear about it. Otherwise, perhaps this isn’t a productive topic to discuss.

Sorry, I forgot that Texas and Texas Tech are peers. Thank you for correcting me. I said “assumed” – I am still not buying that Tech is not “partnering” with UT to try to follow them in the next round of shake ups when the Big XII crumbles. The level and composition of the partnering is up for debate. Since A&M spread their wings and left the family, there is no clear partner school in Texas for UT and I believe Tech would like to serve that role.

And stand up to Texas in the past 5 years? Hard to stand up to anyone who will not compete on the field with UH in the last 5 years. That holds true for every Big XII school but that’s okay since UH has managed to navigate the last few years pretty well in getting to this point.

Good luck with your sponsorships, memberships, etc.

1 Like