Future of College Sports in Texas - Livestream

Slow day at work for me today (shocking), so I’ve got this on. Just started.

https://tlcsenate.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=5&event_id=4233

Senator Whitmire just went on a diatribe talking about the University of Houston should be here to talk about what happens when institutions are abandoned and how Houston could provide expert testimony on the impacts of this and how it still impacts us today.

It’s funny we (state of Texas) are wasting time on this, but regardless, here we are.

8 Likes

Update to this:

Lois Kolkhorst just made some reference about basketball and how this impacts programs. “How does this impact ACU? Would they be able to play in March Madness? What about the University of Houston? Would they be able to play in the Final Four.”

My jaw is still on the floor.

5 Likes

Whitmire continuing to lambast people in the room about the exclusion of the University of Houston from power conferences because of recruiting. And how many of them vote/d against UH for 25 years.

12 Likes

At least Whitmire got his shots in regarding 1996, plus inherent recruiting disadvantages. Interesting he said UT moved in part to keep up with A&M recruiting.

1 Like

I hate the smugness of several of them especially toward the guy that was making a case for SMU, or the metroplex and UH. I’m so tired of that bullsh**. As if they are entitled over UH and SMU.

2 Likes

Sounds like a positive hearing for UH.

“We already had all of the households in Houston as part of our in-market subscriptions with UT, TTU, etc.” - Bowlsby answering a question as to why Houston wasn’t added to the B12.

It’s technically true, but fails to account for actual viewership.

1 Like

I couldn’t listen to that ass anymore. Can’t believe he still has a job today.

1 Like

I have absolutely zero sympathy for any Texas schools left behind in the B12. Literally could not care less about their futures. UH is simply the better investment in terms of state funds or legislative support than whatever is left of the B12. And I think data reflects that.

13 Likes

https://twitter.com/Alex__Briseno/status/1422261106425450501?s=20

live thread

1 Like

Am hearing a lot of university of Houston in this hearing, UH is a force.

7 Likes

Yeah, the more that I have listened, the more positive it has been for UH. Although, I would rather be in the PAC 12 than the 12, it’s nice to have the talk about us be positive. For once.

3 Likes

Fudge might be a bit strong but we absolutely have some forceful advocates for us. Especially in Whitmire

Bowlsby did explain that UH wasn’t additive to the cable dollars (still big as a % of revenue) the Big XII captures. This is important for people to know. Our location within the footprint of the conference doomed us because we’d take more money than we bring in.

This could be the reason UH isn’t added once again. It is likely the only reason left.

While that may be true, the real reason why UH was left out was because the lesser powerful teams coaches were vocal that adding UH would significantly hurt their recruiting. Period. I remember it vividly.

8 Likes

Without UT that logic collapses on B12-4.

7 Likes

That statement encapsulates why the B12 is failing. Tone deafness will be their deathnell

1 Like

By that logic, why was TCU added?

7 Likes

This right here. Anyone who believes the B12 has a lock on the Houston households is high as a kite. No conference has a lock on this city.

6 Likes