Game 1 Thoughts

Read between the lines of the post game press conference and today’s press conference. We are finally settling in into a routine. Consistency is huge for any Teams. As we all thought the play calling was very conservative. Now we enter a new phase where we are going to see a much different Team. Call me optimistic but I do believe we will see a much improved Team against rice.

2 Likes

But in Dana’s offense there are set plays that do not involve that play action pause. It seems like we are using play action on every play. When it turns into a running play, our tackles end up on the same yard line as the QB which means if there is no gap over the guard, the play is hosed.

Also, I thought Allen forced the throw to the WR screens. I know its supposed to be a quick pass but he has to at least look at the DBs for a quick second. We used to burn DBs who tried to jump the screen routes by throwing a streak down the sideline. Now we just go through the motions.

Lastly, on the slant reverse screens, where are the linemen? We have been catching the ball and running directly into the middle LB for three years now…

It will be harder to win 10 games now that we only play 11.

This.

It’s important to understand that teams make strides during the season after each game(at least they should). I have faith that we will be just fine!

I think you’re referring to RPOs, not play action passes. Allen has to get better at pre-snap reads to feel comfortable enough to make the play. The benefit of running different plays with the same look is it can hurt defenses that are not disciplined with their eyes or anticipation.

Check this out: http://quarterbackdrills.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/RPOPLAYBOOKFEB25.pdf

I know we didn’t run out of a lot of formations or get that creative, but you guys are way over simplifying it by saying all we did was “run up the middle”. There were a handful of counters, WRs coming in motion a few times for a fake, a couple different RPOs, I believe even a couple sweeps. I would like us to every now and then put a TE or FB in the back field, especially near the goal line. More sweeps to Catalon would probably be best since he looks to run outside anyway. We only did one WR sweep because we really didnt have any fast WRs who could do that. I look for there to be some interesting plays when King is back. He can change up the run game a lot since you have to worry about his speed when he is in motion and his passing ability.

1 Like

Funny you say that…Kyle Allen would be the PERFECT trigger an for a Dana Holgerson or Mike Leach offense. He can go deep and he can get the ball into the flats in a hurry.
he certainly does not look comfortable running the ball. He looks like he is afraid to get hit. Running it is out of his element.
And the INTs just need to stop now. Case went a whole season with 5 INTs. Allen has two already. Turnovers and penalties are killers. And we were lucky to win with the number of each we had.

Another thing no one here seems to be mentioning is that Arizona was running a deep umbrella zone for most of the game playing way off the ball. So that is begging for the short and sideline passes. Without a speedster it’s harder to go deep against that defense.

Case also had one game with 6 INTs. Do you judge his career on that one game?

2 Likes

Speaking of Case
https://twitter.com/casekeenum7/status/908150674797592583/photo/1

4 Likes

@ UTEP, right? I think I watched that game at the Hooter’s on Kirby with my brother.

Air Force bowl game

Yep, the 2nd one.

That game basically got Tim DeRuyter the A&M DC job, which led to him being HC at Fresno State.

Thanks. I had to look it up. I was thinking about Kolb’s game against UTEP in '05 when he had 5 INT and 5 TD in the double OT loss.

Triple option teams few plays but 3 options 3x plays. Plus they can use different formations. In 2015 we shut down Navy’s run options pretty well but they beat us long with the pass option a few times. I think blitzing a good triple O team like Navy is a bad idea. Each D position needs to be calm, cool and collected, just stay home and read your keys, then move in and hit hard. That’s the way the teams I played on back in the 70’s beat option teams. Worked well unless we played someone so physically overpowering that they just ran over us. Happened a time or two.

2 Likes

That’s the low-hanging fruit for sure but all zones have seams, short, medium, and long range. Would like to see us exploit more medium and long range zone seams. I would think we should be able to hit some deep balls vs Rice.

I agree completely. Eye discipline is underrated until a single player makes a mistake and gives up a big gain.

1 Like

Receivers will have to play better for us to be successful passing the ball. Rewatching the Arizona game, they did not have a good game.

1 Like