Game 3

So we lose at home on opening weekend to a below average 1AA team that won like 13 games last year. At HOME.

Might be another long season of “maybe next year”…

4 Likes

and not just that we lost - but how we lost - (we took a 4 run lead into the 9th - lost in extra innnings) and what seems remarkable below d1 level defensive play at any position - (except catcher!) and in game coaching decisions that seem inept at best - almost perverse.

1 Like

I dont know why this weekend was surprise. This happens every year. UH comes out playing like garbage to start the season and look like they cant hit a watermelon. Also at the start of every season it seems like there are many mental mistakes and errors including ones by the coaches. At some point have to hold the Whitting accountable for not having the team ready. He seems like a great coach for raising money and bringing excitement but maybe he is just not a good Xs and Os coach.

1 Like

Maybe time for a coaching change program seems stagnant under Whitting

4 Likes

Not a good start the season to get fans excited about this team.

It just seems like a theme where the Coogs start at a terrible pace and set themselves back for the season which leads to them having to fight for their lives to get in the post season.

1 Like

I’ll admit that I couldn’t stand him when he managed the Rangers against the Astros, but Bannister is available. Just saying…

It’s all about recruiting and we just haven’t been getting the job done recently…

2 Likes

I’ve been saying this for a few years now.

Last time we lost the opening series was 2010 (0-3 vs. Texas St.), we finished that year 25-32.

2010 was also Noble’s final season.

The new facility should be a massive boost. Staff seems to really be making inroads in getting top local talent to stay home in upcoming classes so far

1 Like

It is like this every year always seem to start slow. We have been in a downward trend since we lost Coach Anderson.

7 Likes

We had our best two recruits for next year decomitted recently with both I think switching to Baylor.

Hitters:

34 strikeouts in the opening series (too many), 15 hits (too little) 5 home runs (very nice, but need people on base when they are hit), 15 walks (nice) Ryan Hernandez (beast).

Pitching:

Aguilar, Hurdsman, Bayless, Blaylock and Lockhart combined for 20.2 innings with 1 ER, 3 walks and 24 strikeouts.

That is stellar.

Notes: Its 3 games. Not pressing the panic button yet…

2 Likes

The problem is we have this trend of getting out of the gate slow every year. Seemed like we struck out a ton last year and we are starting out that way again.

1 Like

34 strikeouts in a weekend against a subpar opponent is alarming. We had a total of 100 official at bats this weekend with 34 strikeouts (34%). To compare to last year, the team recorded 1850 official at bats and 460 strikeouts (25%).

Based on a limited 1 minute google research, an acceptable strikeout/at bat ratio for a college player is 17.5%.

Texas Tech has 25 strikeouts in 144 at bats (17.4%).

Recruiting down?

Couch gone.

34% is unacceptable. Lets chalk it up to opening weekend rust. The team needs to step it up quick, as they are jumping from the frying pan into the fire this weekend. EATEMUPCOOGS

1 Like

At least we are not Rice, who were swept at home against the Horns. To stay on my point, Rice struck out 30% of the time against the Horns, while UT struck out 15% of the time.

On the Trip Couch issue and Anderson leaving. In my opinion, its a lazy take. Those guys were here years ago. I think the staff and Whitting are doing a very good job and its time the players show up this year and hit the baseball. A lot of talent on the team, and Whitting will find the right formula.

Yes but they played Texas we played a nobody team, no comparison. Texas would have probably swept us also???

5 Likes