Game Thread: Houston vs. North Carolina Take 2 (L 19-11)

Good season thanks Patrick as always for the updates. Good luck to UNC the rest of the way. Go Coogs!

2 Likes

What a dumb ass post.

It’s the truth.

Yeah there’s certainly no talent in a program that just had the conference pitcher of the year back-to-back seasons, plus a TON of guys playing professionally right now, many of whom were high round picks
 nope, no talent here.

Stick to teeth homie.

Let’s not get into name calling we’re all fans here.

There is a difference between no talent and more talent or better talent. We have good players we just don’t have enough to get over that hump. This year we did not have enough pitching. A few years back we could not hit the ball but had great pitching.

First off I have to tip my hat to this team. At the beginning of the year I was pretty critical of the team and lack of power in the lineup and middle relief. But, in the end, probably one of the best teams to have followed. I wish some of the other years’ teams would have played with as much heart as this team. Very proud of them, no quit, gutsy play this year. Playing two games back to back like this after two earlier games the days before, nothing to be ashamed of. Can hold their head high.

Here is a concern. We have had a great run with Whitting, Couch, and Anderson. Couch and Anderson left last year and we only had three players from the class recruited last year have an impact. Lovelace, Aquilar, and Mintzer.

The recruiting class this year is going to tell us a lot about the replacements for Couch and Anderson. In many cases, a head coach is only as good as his assistants. Let’s hope we have some kids from the JUCOs and High Schools who can step in next year. In my opinion, we still have holes to fill from the year before and more holes to fill from this year.

4 Likes

This x elenventy billion.

What if Berkman is the next Rice HC and he hires Andy Pettitte to his staff? A return to UH might be in jeopardy.

+1 THIS!

Anderson did not recruit at all but was an outstanding pitching coach, one of the best in the country. Rooney is supposedly an outstanding recruiter that was put into the position of being the pitching coach by defaut.

We do have a lot of holes to fill

1 Like

Just a quick reminder friends. When Tournament times comes the past does not mean anything. What you can produce today is real. I always cringe when I read that we “should” come out easy of this or that. Playing against the tar heels cheaters at their cheating home base was going to be an uphill no matter what.

We seem to be recruiting harder throwers now. As good as the pitchers as we’ve had, they tended to not be fire ballers other than Romero. Credit to Anderson for building these guys up.

Rooney has been an outstanding recruiter. He recruited Verlander to Old Dominion, worked under Maneiri at LSU and was a solid head coach at UCF. Guy has the chops and I think our pitching staff will be better in the long run with him here. Not sure why he gets so much hate as we had pitching depth problems last year as well. He did well with what he had.

1 Like

I think one of the things we liked about Anderson was he would not tolerate giving up walks, and it seemed like we gave up a ton this year especially in the games we lost.

2 Likes

We are reaching that point where we expect more from all our athletic programs. At what point will just hosting or going to regionals not be enough. It pains me to see UT already head back to a super regional with a new coach.

4 Likes

We beat a Big Ten team (Purdue) twice in the Regional. Lost twice to NC who has a CWS caliber team. Our team was better than average to good, but certainly not great. We went as far as our talent could take us. Still, a Conference Championship and two wins in the Regional is something to hand our hat on until we can develop into a better program.

6 Likes

But we have been saying that since we beat LSU and went to the Supers in 2014. I will give Whitting a pass on this year as I believe He was distracted and rightfully so and did a decent job. But I feel the seat needs to start heating up a little.

I also feel that we were pretty close to equal with UNC. They had the benefit of the extra rest. ACC may have been a little overrated.

3 Likes

Go be a fan of another team.

Why because I have high expectations. I go to games and support the team. Whitting himself has said that there goal is Omaha.

3 Likes

True enough. Once you’ve been to the Supers, anything except that or the CWS would constitute a regression, technically speaking.

That said, I am proud of how this team turned out. Kudos to all of their accomplishments. When the season started, I was worried that this would turn out to be a really mediocre year. But they came back, beat some ranked teams, won a conference title, and even won a couple of NCAA post-season game.

Nothing to be ashamed of
rather, something to be PROUD of!

4 Likes