Game Thread: vs. Rice (WIN 45-27)

So PFF has the numbers for the UH vs Tennessee Tech game? Who was the defensive back that gave up the most yards?

no i have the full game on my computer with markers of the play by play (forget that im the one who makes the highlights?) …i checked every big play of the game …non where on wj3…the highlights of the game are also on youtube for you to check yourself…(but in case you are curious pff does keep track of target completion percentage, and yardage…but thats not what i used )

are you admitting you just made up a stat…hoping there would be no way to check??? lol …please stop…

you dont seem to understand the problem

ill point it out with an example…there was a specifc play where Isaiah Johnson was covering a WR and even had help…johnson didnt notice the ball till after it was caught…had he noticed that would have been an easy break up…
in the replay angle it zoomed on his face he had no clue

it is called ball skills… being able to locate the ball in the air and prevent completions…anyone with speed can follow anyone…the difference between a bad cb and a good is the ability to prevent catches

2 Likes

Isiah actually dropped his head and wasn’t following the ball on one of RUs catches.

1 Like

OK Checked out the video. Looks like Trevon Stewart and Howard Wilson gave up the big plays. No business being first team and second team all conference players i guess.

The reason I have a hard time taking the whole thing serious is when you said it is worse to closely cover a receiver that catches the ball than let him catch it wide open. It feels like at that point, you were going to say anything to make your point.

You win sir. Our defensive backs are bad.

1 Like

woah…woah…didnt say they were bad…my point was that they played badly THIS game…and that im hoping they play better lol

If you’re talking about a chance at the CFP this year, it’s pretty close to zero. It would take a major catastrophe with the usual suspects ending up with 2-3 losses and we would have to hold everyone to fewer points than Rice while playing offense like we did in the 2nd half. Naturally, winning all our games is a given.

Much better schedule for us next year, I think.

And how many of them averaged almost 25 YPC?
How many averaged 20+ YPC? Only 13.
How many of those 13 were freshmen? 1, the guy who led the nation

And he tied AJ Brown for 3rd most 50+ yard recptions

navy has 3 different wr with more yds per catch than him…are we not going to add context…

yd per catct his meaningless without a heavy target rate…and being over 1000yds …run, run ,run, run, run, run then…catch them off guard with a 40yd pass…doesnt make the wr touted…

lets not hype him into something he isnt…i can name 9 wr off the top of my head who will be VASTLY more touted who we play (brown, wright, poindexter, mccants, perry, porshe, pollard, hobbs, vasher)…
all more touted…are we going to make excuses for all of them…

1 Like

Pesik gets it. Period.

VERY well said!!!

So by your logic, anyone who couldn’t cover Vincent Marshall sucked… after all he wasn’t touted as top 10. Tyron Carrier. Patrick Edwards. Possibly Donnie Avery too.

1 Like

Lark did not go to Manvel. Out of Bellaire H.S.

In my original post, I noted the QB as well…not simply the WR …
And Edwards was touted in college … he holds numerous NCAA record … Avery was a draft pick and played in the NFL…
When I say touted I dont mean high school touted… I mean touted that it’s reasonable expected for them to torch most DB, on a regular basis …

And like I noted it was a combination of the WR and QB… no way a backup QB on a 1-11 team on his first ever start with those WR should be torching us the way they did … Despite your protesting I know you agree with that statement

We are going to see drastically more touted QB/wr combos all season… we are setting the bar low if we are making it acceptable for this kind of play …I watched the UCF game on Thursday… it’s scary to think what they’d do to us if we put this quality play on the field with them … but the expectation we have set this season is CCG

Our corners are having troubles thought and if we were supposed to fix these issues with a specific coach i dont understand whats the problem. Rice was predictable every 3rd and long they hit us with a deep ball for 15+ and we let them catch it. That’s corners or miscommunication.

All the Houston touchdowns in this video

3 Likes

They were beat in man coverage…it’s not complicated. In man coverage, you got a guy, you got him alone, our corners got beat continually. Joell Williams badly…they got separation from him. Johnson stayed with his guy most time but was late locating ball. Myers a step slow on slant

That doesn’t surprise me. IJ had trouble locating and adjusting to the ball as a WR.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Week 1 vs. Rice - Full Game Video

I agree with you here, but I think what Shaggy is trying to say is that allowing catches within close proximity can be corrected. It’s easier to fix mistakes that are “in the ballpark”, whereas, blown coverage due to miscommunication are more reason for concern (more variables). I think we had issues with both but they can be corrected now that the coaches have film. Will they be fixed before next game? That’s a different subject…