Game Thread: vs. Rice (WIN 45-27)

He did look a little timid to me but mistakes can help you get better if you have character.

I agree, he will be great down the line.

You need to go back and look at the replay on several of those catches. Those receivers were covered well. You don’t call a defensive back a problem if he allows a perfectly thrown ball to turn into a one handed catch.

1 Like

Seems like all running and receiving struggled the first half.

and passing. The first quarter and a half. New offense. Gotta make reads. Gotta develop timing. You guys were expecting stuff in the first quarter that doesn’t happen with college kids playing in new offenses.

2 Likes

I wonder if Johnson might find himself back receiving

… dunno, not the football expert but it looked like we were out of position in the secondary and 1 on 1 the first half.

Maybe that’s why we stopped trying to play the ball and break up passes and just limit yards after the carry,

Their QB was throwing a few shorter range passes into tight spots and doing a dang good job at that.

Was it that our LBs were totally committed to the run? They kept talking about that big Full back (I think) so was the d set up focused on him? If so we did good.

It seems that once they pressed deep we were too thin

I do not see it that way. We were over matched. We can cover well at times but it is obvious that ruck exploited the miss matches. You can be sure that Donofrio is already thinking at what he is facing next week. Arizona has size and speed. This is a huge concern for me heading into next week. We did cover better in the second half but I am also wondering if the ruck was hampered by his foot injury.

1 Like

You need to look up the career starts of Rice’s QB… I’ll sum it up… this game…
Go and look at the amount of highly touted WRs … I’ll sum it up … none

Go back and look at home many of those passes were obvious passing situation (3rd and long) … summary a lot

Your saying its okay becuase Rice’s QB is that good… I’m saying no way in hell Rice’s QB should have look that good … he has been deep bench at rice for 3 seasons, and was named bench this season (only played because original starter sucked)

If this was a 1 play anomaly I’d see your point but it happened over and over and over .and over… Their QB was 20-28 before their last drove with an elite QBR

And saying our DBs were there is a bad thing not a good thing…our DBs not there= new players not everyone knows there assignments, that would improve

Our DBS being there and still constant catches= very bad ball skills, being next to a WR as he catches it doesn’t mean you are playing great defense

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1035980232157786112

The Two Car® Garage might carry this offense some days.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/UHCougarFB/status/1035980858073776128

2 Likes

All I ask is you to pick two plays where a Rice wide receiver had plenty of room to catch the ball in the game. The only two wide open catches were both by tight ends. That falls on miscommunication between the line backers and safeties. So we can agree to disagree that our corner back coverage is the problem.

You think our corners are good?

I made a simple statement. Pick two plays where a Rice wide receiver had plenty of room to catch the ball. In 2015, Brock McCoin had 9 catches for 264 yards for Tennessee Tech. Were William Jackson and Brandon Wilson not good corner backs?

2 Likes

Rice did have the 2017 NCAA yards per reception leader

3 Likes

that is a bad thing…it makes it worse NOT BETTER,…

all evaluation used to grade corners are graded by completion percentage. not on proximity to WR…
dbs with high tackle numbers is a bad thing…and a known sign your defense isnt good

the ability to locate the ball in the air and prevent a catch is the most valuable trait of a CB…what made WJ3 so special what his abnormally low com %…in draft evaluation having a high comp% while being in arms length is a HUGE negative

1 Like

that doesnt mean touted…he had 600yds total last season

Just because you don’t do your own research doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

He was just a freshman last year on a team that won 1 game and fired their coach. How much press is he going to get?

1 Like

so 1 bleacher report article equals touted?

i can find an article about atleast 1 wr on almost every team we play this season…i guess that will make it okay to you as they torch us?

touted= elite WR, top 10 in college where it is expected for them to dominate dbs …if this was against aj brown at ole miss…id take my dub and move on…
there is a 600yd wr on every team we play this season

anyone who thinks this was good DB play is in denial