GAMEDAY THREAD: UH at Tulane - Sunday 1pm on CBSSportsNetwork (W 85-50)

Down by 10 points at the half of both games. Down by more than 10 at different points of each game.

2 Likes

When WSU beat us by 30 last year Rothstein came out of the blue stating we were a very good team that had an off night. The national media yawned. By tourney time he looked like a sage.

At the beginning of the year he picked us as a possible final 8 team.

Me thinks he’s a pretty good evaluator of college basketball. He’s a big picture guy…and definitely knows who the best coaches are.

4 Likes

Probably a good reason why he got to interview Kelvin at his house. I think he has a great relationship with our program.

2 Likes

I agree, that guy is a true researcher and he knows his stuff.

Late reply to the game day thread, but stayed in NO last night and took the early SWA flight this AM (6:30 a.m. — I forgot how early that was in the AM…yawn).

1. Cougars played well from the start. I know, I get the award for being Captain Obvious! I was not sitting behind the Coogs’ bench, I was more toward the curve in the arena behind the basket, and Coach Sampson was very positive the entire game. He was encouraging the team to push the ball, push ball, push the ball. Get the ball moving, share the basketball, and don’t let Tulane get set-up on defense. Push fast-forward button and take Tulane out of their comfort zone. He also yelled, “REBOUND” a lot. He had a few moments of coaching frustration, but I did not see him or hear him EXPLODE. The closest he came to a famous CKS explosion was early in the second half when Tulane made a small run. CKS shut that down and the Coogs started scoring at will.

2. Corey Davis was on fire. Call the Houston Fire Department, CD’s shooting hand may have 3rd degree burns on it. That young men was INTENSE yesterday!

3. Armoni Brooks had a few flashes of his smooth touch on the long ball. We will need him in the AAC tournament and during March Madness.

4. G-Rob did not score much, but he plays fast and furious. He pushed the ball and found the open man. That is his job. Push and find the open shooter. Not sure how many assists G-Rob had, but I CKS was happy with him. Everytime CKS yelled to push the ball, G-Rob went fast. Good things happened.

5. Jarreaux banged a knee, went to the locker room, and then came back to the bench. He was laughing with the guys on the bench so I hope that he is OK. At first, he had a limp. After the game, after the players walk by and say good game to the Green Wave, Jarreaux was not limping. Maybe he just had a bruised knee?

6. I liked Tulane’s Fogleman Arena. It was small, a squared seating set-up, but the seats were on the court. You were right there at the floor. No one was there yesterday. You could hear the janitor across the arena blowing his nose, but if that place ever got full, it could be loud. Different seating set-up, but in a way similar to the FC. Small, compact, and when the fans show up, it can get loud. Tulane’s arena probably holds 4K - 5K, but yesterday there may have been 1,200 people there, if that many. It reminded me of the days when UH played under James Dickey at the HOF.

7. Best of all, the wife and I enjoyed eating dinner at Mr. B’s Bistro. We celebrated a Coog W at Mr. B’s.

Go Coogs. Peace.

7 Likes

1 Like

3. Record chasing

This marks the 11th time in program history UH has reached 25 wins in a season, including the second in a row under coach Kelvin Sampson. At 25-1, UH is within striking distance of the single-season school record for regular season wins, 28 set in 1967-68.

3 Likes

this was UConn game you just sent. Not sure if that was your intention.

Whoops, clicked the wrong link. Fixed it.

Thanks for catching that.

3 Likes

as Branham would say "Got It ’ !

2 Likes

I like that…a neutral court but close enough for our fans to fill the place…

1 Like