Geographic footprint of the American Athletic Conference

Although the American Athletic Conference is a not P5 conference, one of the things I like about it is the geographic footprint. I have been fortunate enough to attend UH away football games in both Cincinnati and Annapolis. For UH MBB I have only traveled to Dallas for an SMU game. In the near future, I’m hoping to attend UH away games at both Temple and UCF. I regret not traveling to see a UH MBB game against UCONN prior to the school leaving the conference for the Big East.

Do you think the geographic footprint of the conference works for or against us as far as recruiting is concerned? I could see how parents would prefer a regional conference, but I would also think that visiting some of the away cities would be an attractive draw to potential recruits.

Also, which away conference games do folks like attending? I figure New Orleans and Annapolis must be popular, but I’d appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

3 Likes

I think the AAC has both a regional and larger footprint. Most P5 conferences are spread out about as much or more than the AAC. But look at the regional games against SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, and Memphis; they are relatively close.

I have been to UH AAC football games in Dallas, New Orleans, Tulsa, Memphis, Annapolis, and Cincinatti. I still have Tampa, Orlando, Greenville, and Philly to go. The good thing is, there are SWA flights to all of those cities farther away, or to a city that is nearby (within a 100 or so miles).

5 Likes

I’d like to travel to Memphis as well for either FB or MBB. I understand that Boise State and/or BYU would expand the footprint and increase travel costs, but I think that adding these two universities for FB would be great for the AAC.

I wonder if Harsin departing for Auburn weakens Boise State’s resolve to find a new conference. I’ve read he was a strong advocate for Boise leaving the MWC for greener pastures ($$$).

1 Like

I love the footprint…I have been to SMU, Tulane, Tulsa and Memphis many many times.
Have been to Greenville once, and UCF twice.

Really want to go to Annapolis, having been to West Point twice…pissed I didn’t go to Piscataway (Rutgers) when they were in our Conference, being (I believe) the site of the first college football game…

3 Likes

I like our conference as it is. One thing that I didn’t like when we had 12 teams was that navy was in the west. Just doesn’t make sense. Just as bad as Missouri being in the sec east.

1 Like

I went to the UH-Army game at Michie Stadium in 2001. Such an impressive stadium setting. Memory is fading, but I remember NY Governor Pataki being there for the coin toss or giving a short speech, since it was so soon after 9-11. I was stationed in Boston with the Air Force at that time, so USMA was the closest location for me to see UH football.

Annapolis is a really great game day atmosphere as well. I lived in DC for several years and attended several USNA games at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.

4 Likes

Apart from being in a P5 conference and making that money… The American has a bunch of urban universities in great cities.

I have had barbeque in Memphis, tacos in Dallas, Brahms in Tulsa, what the hell isn’t there to do in Orlando, cheese steaks in Philly, Beignets in Nawlins, Lobster Rolls in Annapolis, Seafood in Tampa, skipped the chili in Cincy, and moved quickly through East Carolina.

8 Likes

Sounds like you’ve visited all of the away sites except departed conference member UCONN. I was stationed in NC during the mid-80s. I remember Eastern Carolina “whole-hog” BBQ being pretty tasty, so ECU is worth a visit as well. Your Brahms in Tulsa comment made me chuckle. That’s some good ice cream.

3 Likes

Yeah, I like Brahms. I don’t care what anyone says. It is good for the price.

3 Likes

Not sure we (my SO and my brother) should be going to away games.
Four years ago, we took a 10 day trip to DC, and included the UH Navy Football game. During the 10 days we spent in the area, it rained for a total of about 4 hours. Those four hours began about 3 hours prior to kick off and covered most of the first half.

We next attended the SMU game (last year, I believe) and it rained for a long period of time and we spend most of the time under the leaky stadium seating area.

Last year, we managed to get to NO, using a very circuitous route. 6 to 190 to LA, then S to I10 and into NO. Arrived about 1 hour before kickoff.

Rain seems to be a thread following our away games.

Did have plans to go to UCF last year, but SO could not get off work on Friday, so we spent her vacation days driving to Key West, via Orlando (Disney World), Cape Canaveral, Miami (Coral Castle), KW (Margaritaville) then back via Mobile, NO (French Quarter and WWII Museum), then back home. No rain this trip.

3 Likes

Brahms is amazing!!! First had in Wichita when my boys were running track at Nationals. Then realized it was in Texas when we traveled to Arlington for high school playoffs. Needs to make it down this way.

4 Likes

They’ve made it as far south as Hillsboro. I keep hoping for a Brahams southern expansion.

2 Likes

I travel to OK frequently for work. I’ve always heard that Braum’s expansion is limited due to the company’s desire to maintain product freshness. So I think there is some sort of range limit on locating their stores/restaurants, based on their proximity to the dairy/production facilities in Tuttle, OK (SW of OKC). The southernmost location I know of is in Corsicana.

2 Likes

The Cincinnati/Southern Ohio region also has a good local ice cream chain. United Dairy Farmers (UCF). More like a convenience store with a built-in ice cream parlor. Really good stuff. I agree with you on the Skyline Chili. Chile over spaghetti with cheddar cheese on top–the 3-way? I’ll take a pass.

2 Likes

Having been to Michie stadium a few dozen times, I was hoping to go back before Army left the conference. Maybe we will do an out of conference 1-1 with them in the future.

2 Likes

The AAC hasn’t held us back, it is a good conference. We held ourselves back. It is is time to get back to the Uncle Dave mindset of demanding more. Enough of the narrative, just win baby.

6 Likes

I think the destinations in our conference are great. The only conference I’d prefer in terms of visiting other cities/areas is the PAC-12, and we aren’t ever going to be there. The Big 12 and SEC stink, the ACC is so-so, and I guess the Big 10 is all right.

2 Likes

Personally i hate it with a passion. Give me all the flack you want but i personally don’t care about watching a single team east of the Mississippi.

1 Like

I believe Kellen Moore, OC of the Cowboys, just took HC of Boise, maybe he would want to
paly in Texas along with BYU.

2 Likes

I’d like to see Moore get the job at Boise State. I agree with you. After spending so much time in Dallas, he probably understands the depth of HS talent here and would want to recruit Texas for Boise State. One of the best ways to market your program to potential recruits is to schedule games in their backyard.

2 Likes