Geographic footprint of the American Athletic Conference

If you’re going to Philadelphia just to see a game, don’t. Spend more time there, especially if you like historical things. The place is rife with them and the food is good too.

6 Likes

To each their own, you have a right to like or not like whomever you wish.

2 Likes

Yep. Took my sons to a UH-Temple game four or so years ago. Philly was great. They want to go back. I wish I had set aside more time.

2 Likes

Agreed, the food and historic sites alone make it a worthy roadie.

1 Like

Oh yeah, New Orleans offers a menu selection that is tough to beat.

3 Likes

Going to an away game at Temple is a blast - lots to see and do in Phily -,enjoy a few amazing shakes at Nifty Fifty. World class Arboretum, visit the Prison Museum, the outdoor space downtown.

Stay at the Holiday Inn at the sports complex and walk to the game.

5 Likes

What’s the atmosphere like for a Tulane home game? I understand they have a new on-campus stadium, but do they put fans in the seats? How’s a Tulsa home game as well? Seems like with their on-field success the team should draw pretty well, despite it being a private school with low enrollment numbers (4,300+). ECU seems to draw pretty well, so I’d think this would be a good away game to attend.

1 Like

Tulsa is like Tulane, two small schools surrounded bu OSU/OST, LSU fans and supporters. If Tulsa and New Orleans got behind their college teams, the stadiums would be packed.

I have never been to ECU, so I will pass on that one; but I have been to most games at Tulsa and Tulane since CUSA days.

Tulane’s new stadium is small, 30,000 seats, and in all the games I’ve been to, the crowd is much smaller. The area under the stadium is kind of weird and seems cramped. I would swear that Coog fans have outnumbered theirs most games. The in game atmosphere is kind of like at Rice, except in cozier confines. Of course the French Quarter is what it is and good times are to be had.

Tulsa’s stadium is about the size of Tulane’s, also seating 30,000, but looks a lot better in my opinion. I think the in game atmosphere at Tulsa is much better than at Tulane because they consider us a major rival and really get up for us. On the other hand, Tulsa is not much of the party town New Orleans is. I usually just go back to my hotel after the game. I usually stay at a hotel in Paul’s Valley to break the return trip, so it takes a couple of hours to get back to the hotel

2 Likes

Tulane’s stadium gave me a Houston Rodeo flashback. Before the game I went down and got drinks beneath the stands. On my way back everyone was forced to stop by security. Then suddenly football players appeared crossing in front of us and then continued through a tunnel that led onto the FB field.

I could not help but recall numerous times walking among the exhibits at the rodeo only to be stopped while livestock crossed my path and went into the show arena.

Does anyone know of another stadium where teams must cross through a concession concourse to get to the playing field?

2 Likes

ECU’s stadium is old and reminds me of Rice’s stadium. Their fans are nice and the area is pretty. Derek’s twin is stationed in NC and it’s a nice drive around the state.

2 Likes

I have been to Liberty Bowl Stadium and would say that Memphis is a fun trip.

Was going to do The Navy game, then D.C. before certain events intervened.

Over the next few seasons I want to go to each opponents’ stadiums.

When we were in The SWC I hit all of them including the 2 stadiums in Arkansas.

4 Likes

Oklahoma has the band crossing the concourse

Appreciate the postings. Having attended AAC away games at Navy, Cincy, and SMU, my priorities over the next two years will be Memphis and Temple.

My other wish list event is the AAC MBB tournament. I was so pumped up to attend last season’s at the Dickie’s Center in Fort Worth.

1 Like

ECUs Dowdy Ficklin stadium is a great, old style stadium, probably seats 35K, every seat is a good seat…
We stayed in New Bern with the team, and it was like an East Coast version of Carmel…really neat.

2 Likes

We’ve done Navy-Marine Corp stadium twice and had plans for last year, but, but, but no such luck. Drove by Tulsa’s stadium a couple of years ago, when UH was playing there in March Madness. Found a great little diner there in Tulsa. Also visited the loss at Tulane . . . . . Wanted to visit in Orlando, but could not get there in time for the game last year. Personally, not sure I’m too excited about any other destinations . . . . .

1 Like

A thing to know about Tulane’s on campus football stadium and Fogelman Arena is that, unless you are a Tulane season ticket holder/donor, there is essentially no parking. I’ve been to both; and the only practical way to handle getting there is by cab or the St. Charles Trolley. And, either of those ways will also involve some walking.

Tulane’s football stadium is nice but a bit plain jane. Fogelman Arena has been spruced up a bit, however, like other places in New Orleans, its vibe is antique.

2 Likes

I went to ECU two years ago and was very impressed with their stadium…walking up to the stadium from the parking area, it looked huge. It is very tall. It holds 50k and when I was there, it was under an expansion and addition/renovation of press box and suites on the home side of the field. When ECU is competitive, they sell that place out. Their baseball stadium is close to the football stadium and is quite impressive as well.

If anyone makes this trip, I recommend staying in the Raleigh/Durham area and on game day, making the 90 min drive over to Greenville. There is nothing to do/see in Greenville. There is a lot to do and see in Raleigh/Durham and some great food. Another option would be to fly into Norfolk, VA and stay on the beaches of the Outer Banks. I think this option is another 60-90 drive to Greenville.

The only AAC roadies I have left to do is UCF and Temple…thought I have spent 3 days in Phila seeing the sites. If you make a trip to Temple, plan on spending some vacation days to see Phila… it’s amazing. Try and stay downtown as you can walk to a lot of the historical sites. I did go to UConn before they left…I went in 2015. :frowning:

4 Likes

I’ve been to Nippert Stadium in Cincinnati. It’s on campus and gives a nice game day atmosphere. If you stomach their skyline chili (after Texas chili, you can’t) you can find other places to eat. Parking can be a challenge, but it’s not too bad.

1 Like

ECU seems to draw pretty well, regardless of the team’s W-L record. Appreciate the suggestion to overnight in RDU and simply make the drive. Hopefully, we can start attracting fans again, once we start winning and get past COVID.

2 Likes