GoCoogs.com Tulsa coverage

I’ll use this thread for each of our stories today. Will be plenty.

First up - 5 quick thoughts about Tulsa. In a word, ugh

6 Likes

Agree wholeheartedly. I was really taken back by the apparent lack of any emotion or enthusiasm for the first 3 quarters of the game.You would have thought they would have come out with fire in their eyes after last year’s beating.

That’s on CMA and the staff.

2 Likes

Spot on

1 Like

I agree with the article unfortunately… I feel this team can win (not dominate) weaker teams in the AAC… but not Cincy, UCF, USF. This team and staff also can’t claim to be on par with the so called P5’s of the world. With Herman’s teams, we felt we could go toe to toe with anybody not named Alabama. Not this team. Expecting an above average year and sub-par bowl. I hope I’m wrong.

Herman can still go pound sand.

Agreed. Thursday Night national audience on ESPN Flagship…
Dropped balls (2 Offensive TDS, 3 Interceptions). Bad officiating (again). Bad bounces.

We have to come out SHARP, and that is not happening. And this “prevent” defense makes me crazy. Third and 18, they get 31. And in a prevent, you knew Phil was gonna use all 4 downs…
Really ???

I truly hope we fix these problems, or at some point in the season we are going to get undressed…

Go Coogs !!!

2 Likes

Attendance is declining at our games. There are a lot of reasons: game times, boring offense, other things to do. But is UH doing enough to address the situation?

1 Like

Honestly, this team reminds me of the Briles/non-2011 Sumlin years more than the Levine years.

Those teams tended to make lots of mistakes, had questionable defenses, had let-downs against poorer teams, and would show just enough at times to think they could be great.

4 Likes

Herman’s 19th ranked Horns beat Tulsa by seven. That’s how a P5 handles Tulsa.

3 Likes

100% agree. The 2011 team was simply a team with a fantastic offense and at least a decent defense. The 2015 team was the right mix of upper classman talent and coaching. We have averaged a conference championship once a decade in CUSA and now the AAC. I am still trying to figure out why people think that every team in this conference is below us, that we should be ashamed that we even have to share the field with them.

The 2011 and 2015 teams are NOT the norm, we want them to be, we should work for that to be the norm, but it isn’t. We are 4-1, and we have a shot to win the West. All we need to do is get those W’s whether they are by 1-point or 50.

7 Likes

My dog just shook her head too, but she’s also glad for the win!

With you I am. I don’t see any “easy” wins the rest of the way.

2 Likes

Former UH athlete Brad Towns looks at how things are trending for the defense.

1 Like

What this all fails to mention is the Briles effect . His pace this year is his fastest ever. He’s been snapping it 5 seconds faster than last year…which was his slowest pace since being a OC.
Go look at Phil Bennett’s defense stats from his 3 years at Pitt and his next 6 at Baylor.
He gave up 40 points per game in 2011 and 37 in 2012 after having a top D at Pitt. Over 50% 3rd down conversions allowed both years.
Phil Bennett gave up on average 11 more points per game from 2011 to 2016 at Baylor than he did from 2008 to 2010 at Pitt. Over 120 yards more per game. And the common thread was TOP and plays per game by defense…which was about 20 morecplays per game while at Baylor.

1 Like

Hmmm…first statement says that Chambers is largely a non-factor this season. However, He leads the team in sacks. Not sure why tackles are being used to measure the effectiveness of a DE.

He also was hurt early on last night which may have affected his play. Not sure if he actually returned after he was hurt as I don’t remember seeing him.

Don’t get me wrong, Turner has been good, and has been a revelation since he arrived last year, just thought that statement right off the bat about Chambers was a real head-scratcher.

3 Likes

Three more stories today on the Tulsa game.

The In-Game Experience at TDECU is Lagging:

1 Like

How Tulsa Used the Rice Strategy to Dominate The 3rd Quarter

2 Likes

The 4th quarter was one of the craziest you’ll ever see. Inside Tulsa’s panic and the Cougar comeback:

4 Likes

Wrapping up Tulsa with Sunday News & Notes: UH among the national statistical leaders, looking at the AAC race, misconceptions about the defense always being on the field, and running out the clock in the 1st half vs Tulsa.

4 Likes

Herman is @ # 9 and if he beats WV will go to the playoffs on branding alone. SOB

1 Like