Good Lord........ECU looks BAD!

They lost to NC A&T.

Pencil that in as a win.

3 Likes

I never understood the perception that ECU will be better. They’ve been bad at football for years now and don’t do anything correct or well. They might be easier than the second half of Rice.

Some bad losses for the AAC week 1.

2 Likes

ECU is not that bad. They were -3 in turnovers. ECU had 120 more yards and almost twice as many 1st downs. It’s hard to beat anybody when you are -3 TO

Yes. As of now, 2 of our opponents have lost FCS teams and one barely squeaked by. Plus we play an FCS team outright later. Very bad year for SOS.

5 Likes

It’s still an FCS team and you also had Temple losing to Villanova. Cincy helped and if UCF can stay ranked it’ll help the conference.

Conference went 5-5 in OOC matchups.

Luckily UH gets to play all five of these teams

ECU loses at home to FCS
Temple at home to FCS
SMU blown out by N Texas
Navy gets run over by Hawaii
Tulane at home to Wake

3 Likes

ECU hasn’t done squat since they fired Ruffin McNeill for not winning enough. Serves them right. They didn’t deserve him. His record over 6 years was 42-34 with 4 bowls, a better win percentage than previous coach Skip Holtz (remember him?). He’s landed on his feet at OU, good for him. He’s a good coach. Lead TeeTee to their best defensive play in years. when he was DC, also bowl win as interim HC.

5 Likes

Don’t sleep on Hawaii. They’ve got two pretty nice wins to start the year.

Agree , but Rice plays them this week. Wouldn’t be surprised if Rice pulls an upset.

Game to watch is Memphis at Navy. Huge implications for the AAC west

I would. Rice going on the road as 17 point dogs. I don’t think Rice is as bad as almost losing to PV, but some here think Rice could be pretty good because they gave UH all they could handle is a bit of a stretch.

Kickoff is at 11pm central time so it won’t help the body clock for sure.

Rice is giving up almost 300 passing yards a game on defense and Hawaii is averaging 430 yards passing on offense. Rice is also almost giving up 9 yards per play on defense.

I’m not sure if it’s worth staying up for, but Hawaii should be able to light Rice up in the passing game.

1 Like

The whole conference looks pretty ugly…except UCF and Cincy…and maybe us on some days.

1 Like

I think it’s bad luck. We don’t need this year’s schedule weakened by our opponents losing to FCS teams.

Skip Holtz was 38-27 at ECU. He also took over a program that had won 3 games over the previous 2 seasons.

I’m not sure if firing Ruffin was a mistake but they obviously whiffed on the replacement.

““You can’t go four seasons of a losing record in football at a school like East Carolina and not feel the effects of that for a couple of years.”
“13,000 season tickets have been sold to date, also noting the school has collected $566,000 in parking revenue in the first year ECU has sold premium passes. He also noted a Pirate Club donation uptick of $260,000 compared to this point last summer.”

1 Like

This is an interesting article. The following info gives us a better view of the 2018 attendance.

Here’s how the final announced 2018 football attendance rankings were for 2018:

UCF: 44,018
cow u: 38,517 (actual attendance: 28,838)
ECU: 32,908
Navy: 31,464
Cincinnati: 30,519
Memphis: 30,178
Houston: 29,838
Temple: 28,470
UCONN: 20,924
SMU: 19,383
Tulane: 18,015
Tulsa: 17,098

AAC Average per game: 28,902

1 Knight_Light, Dec 9, 2018

So let’s be honest here. The bcs and the cfp are directly responsible with the future of G5 programs. The cfp was created with one goal in mind. The G5’s demise and the creation of a P5 Championship by default. ECU historically has had great support but ultimately and with demographics changing the “football” interest will decrease. I will write it again and again. You are a DIV I FBS program or not.
For those DIV I FBS programs that do not get invited to a P5 I surely hope they sue the cfp with everything that they have.
The cfp and the P5’s want their own Championship? Then go ahead and call yourself minor league. Start paying players like the minor leagues do. Let’s have a federal financial audit on the P5 finances. We will know for sure how many P5 Schools really are sustainable without federal or our assistance.

Yup us g5ers will have start our own national championship after 2025… unless there are better options out there
At this point can’t see houston ever getting invited to the A5 club and sure as heck don’t ever want to go to the b12

You never start a g5 national championship. That would be a disgrace, laughingstock, and farce wrapped in failure.

That would be like the local country club telling UH students they can’t play there so they open a putt-putt on the Navy Seafood parking lot…and call it golf.

7 Likes

Ok so after 2025 if we’re still a left behind in the g5 what are we to do
Continue to hope we get invited to an A5 conference
After 2025 all the teams still stuck in the g5 will be even further removed from any possibility of playing in the A5 championship?
At that point all these teams would need to look at making the most money possible, find any advantage to be competitive like adopting player compensation for starters, and yes a real g5 playoffs for a national FBs championship
Who knows, mybe it becomes really successful after a few years
It could get very bleek after 2025