Good win, but

You know when one says “but” it erases everything that comes before it…

We held SMU to its lowest point total for the year. They scored 36 on TCU. We held Texas Tech to its lowest point total for the year. We held temple to its 2nd lowest point total for the year. We held Arizona to its lowest point total for the year. We held Rice to its lowest point total for the year.

The Defense is really really good. Well done Coach D’Onofrio.

5 Likes

Orlando blitzed a lot more which created way more sacks and tfl’s. It also created more big passing plays for the other team because those blitzes often came from the secondary. This years defense blitzes less but seems to give up way fewer Big passing plays.

On the surface it appears that this years defense isn’t as good but at the end of the day it’s very productive, just not quite as exciting which shouldn’t matter. We may find this to be the case when comparing this years head coach to last years.

1 Like

He changed them from a 4-3 attacking defense to a 3-4 read and react defense. Canes fans were used to the 4-3 and then former players started complaining so D’Onofrio became the scapegoat. Guy had real good defenses at Temple before going to Miami, just think that 1) Miami has a hard time pulling top players when they aren’t cheating and 2) Miami fans may not be the best judge of someone’s abilities.

1 Like

It is a containment style defense. You also have to credit the opposition. Teams realize that they need to get the ball out quickly to neutralize the front 7. It’s why you saw TT and SMU throw 50 swing passes to create opportunities over the top.

1 Like

4-1 1-0

1 Like

Fixed it for you.

2 Likes

I went back and searched for Wade’s 3-4 version. Great video, assignment, alignment, technique.

Different approach from D’Onofrio but the concept is the same basis of the 3-4.Remember it always depend of the player’s ability.
and another one,

5 Likes

So it’s great against the air raids we’ve faced. How about the option teams in our division who just scored 62 and 48 yesterday? Read and contain can suggest good assignment discipline, but some of the tackling I’ve seen at the edges makes me concerned about deaths by a thousand cuts.

2 Likes

We have played literally one air raid team and we lost to them.

True. But I would not put that on the defense since they held them to 27 points. Played a lot of the game in bad field position because of the offense turnovers. Take our game out of their numbers, Tech is averaging over 50 points a game.

Regarding the defense, I wish we were more aggressive between the 20s. We seem to be more of a bend don’t break defense. In comparing this defense to Orlando’s, D’Onofrio does not have the talent at linebacker that Orlando had the last two years. This may also play in how he is calling the defense.

Either way, the defense play has been great so far this year. They make plays when they need to, very few breakdowns. Wrapping up has been one area of concern and as someone stated earlier, we will see how we fare against option teams. On another note, and I am basing off of somebody else’s statement, D’Onofrio’s defenses at Miami did a pretty good job of defensing Georgia Tech’s option. So, we will see if this holds true against Nave and Tulane.

You bring up a major point tackling. Above every D scheme fundamentals are key to any Team be in college or in the pros. We have seen some improvements since our first game. I am very encouraged by that.

1 Like

Except Temple

I was using the expansive ESPN definition of air raid. Point is teams that throw a lot vs teams that run a lot.

I thought I would bump this after the game against Tulsa.

I actually am not that upset with the defense that we ran yesterday. However, this is the problem with a containment defense. If you can’t limit explosive plays, you will get burned.

We had been solid in red zone defense up and to this game, but if containment is broken, yesterday is what happens. We should have been blitzing the hell out of the quarterback.

The defense is not the problem. They have played way above my expectations. Yesterday summed up this season. The difference you might ask? Our defense’s back or psychological mindset finally broke. That is what happened when you have one side of the Team doing its job and the other that does not. A football Team is made of two Teams and they feed from each other. When one side badly produces week after week it has an impact. In our case it can have a devastating impact. These are young minds let’s see how we respond to adversity. The Memphis game is coming quickly. It is coming quickly for both Teams.
My biggest worry this morning? Ed Oliver. I sure hope that he has not re-injured his knee. To see him hobbling makes me extremely concern. Remember what happened to Greg in his last two years. He got badly injured but kept playing. judas benefited from it Greg got the shaft. If Ed has to seat the next four games to get his knee healthy again so be it. His health is more important than our record for this year. A knee or a shoulder are integral parts for any success especially for his long term success. I am praying that he is healthy.

7 Likes