Ground Zero

First year under the new regime with Coach Holgo and his increased staff. With the four games to open in rapid succession, new schemes, a tough schedule (OU, WS, UCF, NTX, Cin, etc) it will be interesting to see where and how we finish. THEN , next year is the tale! If we finish anywhere north of 8-4, Wow!

5 Likes

2 Likes

Did he like swing his head down real fast to make that picture or did they have something blowing his hair up below him?

There might be tiny fishing lines holding it up. Unless it’s for a music video, then there are fans.

1 Like

Mark my words, if we lose more than four games there will be some posters on this board questioning if Holgerson was the right hire while comparing his record to Major’s. They’ll ignore the fact that this years schedule is brutal with 3 teams already ranked in the top 20, and 3 more that might end the season ranked. Three of these teams are on the road.

My hope is that we split even at worst and beat the teams we should beat. Anything can happen this season. I think it all comes down to how much the defense improves and whether our key players can remain injury free.

Go Coogs!

6 Likes

Drew, your sights are set low; my hope is 14-0. How we end up is an entirelydifferent matter. I’m still predicting 14-0 unless proven otherwise on the field! But, I will not question CDH’s hire, regardless. However, I reserve the right to get hacked off if we lose a game we should win, a la UConn in 2015 and SMU in 2016.

7 Likes

AGAIN my ole friend Red80 picked our coogs going UNDEFEATED the year Dismal couldn’t win at tiddly-winks and went 0 - 11 …

(Had he lived BACK THEN and a coog board existed) he probably would have picked Custer at the Lil Big Horn … Lee at Gettysburg … and Cornwallis at Yorktown … well

At least he IS CONSISTENT … :wink:

Dave, I would not have picked Cornwallis, nor would I have picked Custer. Crazy Horse, the war chief who devised the ambush, was a much better general than Custer. I probably would have gone with Lee though.

And this could very well be the year that we do go undefeated; past performance does not guarantee future results.

2 Likes

I totally agree with you Drew. There are so many variables this year. Hopefully we are pleasantly surprised with our 2019 record. CDH is a great hire, but he might need two+ years to get us on track. I am all in no matter what the outcome.

2 Likes

I believe every game is winnable, every game can be lost. If you don’t think your team can win a game, why watch it? Mow the grass instead!

Btw, Custer and Lee beat themselves. If we can avoid that and the massive injury bug like last year, 8-4 is very doable. More importantly, are better in October than September? Better in November than October? That trajectory is more important to me than pure W-L record. If we trend upward, we’ll be fine.

2 Likes

I have been to MANY MANY games we were underdogs and lost anyway AND was at the infamous game in Athens to watch us lose to a UGa team heavily favored and end up 0 - 11 under Dismal when I could have stayed at home …

So keep your “mowing the grass” to yourself and go back to pickin’ your fleas and eating bananas … Mighty Jo …

Just OU and UCF in the top 20 currently. But agree, schedule is pretty tough by G5 standards.

Yes, a tough schedule for sure. CBS has WSU ranked No. 10 and several publications have them in the top 20, but yes the AP has them at 23 and coaches poll at No. 21. Their defense led the conference in sacks last year so their D is probably better than what we’ll see against OU and most of our conference. Plus, teams like Memphis and Cincinnati are already garnering votes for the top 25. And N Texas will probably be a big road test as well. That’s 5 really good teams not to mention a road game at Tulsa that’s NEVER easy. Still, if our defense improves and our key players stay healthy I see us winning a lot of games.

2 Likes

I’m happy with bowl eligibility this year

5 Likes

I don’t know you, Dave, but you do display kind of a dismal attitude on here, more often than not. At least wait until the team sucks before you call out the optimists. And, I don’t have any fleas. The Mrs. keeps them off of me!!

1 Like

Gang,

Every season presents a POSSIBILITY of a total running of the table.

Unless and until we lose…ALWAYS believe in that possibility!!!

3 Likes

:clap: Thank you very much!!!

Drew, I know Dave and he is a loyal Coog who has been through too many disappointments and has become a bit jaded as a result. He has developed a “show me, don’t tell me” attitude which is probably more realistic than my unbridled optimism. However, being realistic is overrated, being optimistic is much more fun. But never question Dave’s loyalty and affection toward the Coogs, he’s solid.

7 Likes

The Georgia game that was moved to the end of that season because of Tropical Storm Allison??! Rice messed the season up. Hate losing to them.

1 Like

Moved b/c of 9/11

2 Likes