Guards

Guards are a lot like QBs there are measurables but the most important things are unmeasurables. Corey and Gaylen had that unmeasurable “it” I am curious if the new group has that “it”.

Case had that “it”. John O’Korn did not. If you went to a QB camp you would gravitate towards JOK. Big strong good arm. Put them on the field with pads and it is quickly apparent who you wanted.

I am curious about this team. Lots of measurables.

1 Like

I can see “that” guy wanting to jump out of Sasser. He just has the look and attitude. I think all he lacks is experience. I think Year 2 Sasser will be so good (due to the experience)…we’ll all be talking about how big of a steal he was.

6 Likes

I agree with you. Right now who would you want with the ball down by 1 with 15 seconds left?

Last year it was Corey Davis.

He’s not the best shooter…but I’d take Grimes in that situation. He seems like he would make the best decision…and has the skillset to take it all on his shoulders, if needed.

That being said, I want Hinton to be(come) that guy also.

4 Likes

It is very early so it is completely unfair for me to say this but Grimes reminds me of Kyle Allen. He is going to be a player at the next level,

Does he take control of the game?

Grimes hands down is the guy I want late in the game. He could easily be a 25 point a night guy but he is generous in distribution. Maybe too generous.

I also think Sasser has the style to be the point. As does Mills in a more shifty, fluid way. Personally, I see Mills ultimately assuming the roll with Sasser being the gunner and interchangeable point.

Sasser has the most impressive physique on the court. He’s built for battle.

2 Likes

Excellent post FunkMaster!

1 Like

Robinson was not Robinson until his SR season. He was not that shutdown defensive guy before that point.
Gray came a long way from years 1 - 3.

Difference from this team and the previous is we have 5 guards with a lot of talent who are developing and all within their first or second seasons on the court for our Coogs.

3 Likes

Surprised no one has said Deeky. This is one play keep in mind. I trust Grimes right now more the other 39.5 minutes but if I need two points one trip down give me Deeky to the hole. He’s an excellent FT shooter down the stretch even in this slump. Also his to the whole misses tend to get put backs by the rebounders because he takes all the opposing bigs with him to the ground trying to block his shot. Especially by his BFF Gresham.

2 Likes

I want it to be the guy that wants it the most and has burning determination. I mean a guy like Rob Gray! He had more heart and fight in him than anyone I have seen on this team. Rob was a handful for CKS, but the guy was a fierce competitor and aggressive as they come. A Corey Davis type guy would be another.

I don’t know who will develop into that role for us, we have so many young guys. I’m thinking Hinton and Grimes look to be the closest.

1 Like

I would definitely have to say Grimes right now. He has been the most consistent and he doesn’t turn the ball over. I honestly think by January, it will be obvious he is the go to guy.

3 Likes

I agree with what you said about Deeky. He is a proven commodity when he drives to the basket, I hope that will strongly show up as the season goes on. I think our defense will improve & that is job#1! I am not sure who is going to be the most most consistent point guards probably a combination of Grimes, Sasser, Deeky & Hinton. Caleb Mills can create shots for himself but needs to work on creating for others.

1 Like

By the end of the season Mills. He is able to stay under control and take the shot given anywhere on the court and he is able to create the space for the shot.
Between Jarreau or Grimes just take the current hot hand and matchup.

3 Likes

Am I wrong or did Deeky take the angle from left slant to the right side of the basket almost always last year but appears to have worked on the other side and is working it out on the floor in games?

1 Like

Yes this year a lot more inconsistent in his angles and just overall decision making.

I don’t want to put this all on Deeky the coaches need to go back to last years tape and see when he was most effective. Maybe try starting Mills at the point, Harris again down low then put Deeky, Sasser (as a 2 spot up shooter) for Grimes, and Gresham for Harris in. The more Deeky plays with Gresham the more fun he’ll have and that’s his game. I really think Deeky and Grimes on the floor at the same time is part of the problem.

What’s nice is the coaches will figure it out. We have good coaches.

3 Likes

Yea Deeky and Grimes don’t seem to compliment each other. I think Grimes feels compelled to throw it around to guys when he could easily take it to the hole. Deeky feels compelled to shoot when he should be feeding Grimes.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1204011812502622210

4 Likes

I’m gonna say my vote goes to Justin Gorham. I’ve pimped him quite a bit in the posts I’ve shared, and feel that, by the end of the season, we’ll be talking about him as one of our three best players. Great size, smart, has range, makes his free throws. As he settles in more, we’ll see how much of an impact he’ll make on the defensive and rebounding end as well.

1 Like

Hopefully the last game was his breakout game.

2 Likes

It may happen, but it seems a long way off.